AuthorTopic: Here goes some Boji Ousama JRPG  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Here goes some Boji Ousama JRPG

on: December 16, 2021, 02:32:04 am

I have just fallen in love with the Boji Ousama anime series and it got me back to pixels after a long while playing with 3d stuff. Not sure where this is going for now, just did the sprite pixeling and started blocking a JRPG-like scene. Had a lot of fun with the "shadow-clan" companion, such an interesting design. The main character's face took a while, the shape of the mouth is a very peculiar trait and it takes a lot of space to render in pixels. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Here goes some Boji Ousama JRPG

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 09:16:59 am
Nice start! I don't know if it's intentional and if you're going for a more abstract kind of game, but right now the perspective of the character seems almost head-on (particularly the head) like a side view platformer, which conflicts with the top down perspective. If it's intentional (like Advance Wars), then it's all good.  :)

Offline Vinik

• View Profile

Re: Here goes some Boji Ousama JRPG

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 12:16:23 pm
Yup, I agree. The intention was to match the very naive designs of most GBC era JRPGs where the characters are pretty much frontal regardless of the "topdown" view (very vertically distorted as well). Maybe the castle walls should be less volumetric/view accurate, and more symbolic and fitting naive square-tiles to match, thanks a lot on the input.

edit, ref:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 12:19:48 pm by Vinik »