AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!  (Read 296580 times)

Offline Zccc

• View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!

Reply #150 on: August 28, 2008, 09:48:11 pm
Geez, guys, I didn't saw that. When I read about the restrictions I forgot about the transparency and tought that there were allowed black, white and two other colours.

Hope this works now, even if it's not the way I wanted, limited to restrictions.

Changed background tiles and the sprites, eliminating a colour in each one.
The beehive guy doesn't need a change, because he already has 3 colours for each sprite (8x8).

Offline Delkaes

• View Profile
    • Zombie Holocaust

Reply #151 on: August 28, 2008, 09:48:43 pm
hello all, juste started yesterday, thinking if i can try or not, so i try.
The boss is Monkeyman, will do shortly the avatar portrait.
His weapons : Bananas.

first try :

actually, working on background.

comments ands crits are welcome of course. But i'll be back only sunday at night  :-[ .

Offline DrunkBurger

• View Profile

Reply #152 on: August 29, 2008, 11:42:19 am
Thats funny, i already made my own megaman boss. Im also already busy with making m y own stage and characters. But seeing that im kinda busy with school and such ill skip this mockup  :'(

Oh well.

enjoy and dont steal  :D :crazy:

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #153 on: August 29, 2008, 01:43:22 pm
Those certainly are some big... um... subwoofers.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline xenobond

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #154 on: August 29, 2008, 02:15:27 pm
Was going to go with Music Man (yeah, really).

So I was going to head towards a spooky organ/castle music hall. Looked less like something for Music Man and more like something for a Bat or Dracula Man. >_<

So now I'm going to scrap what I had started and do something else. Didn't take me long to get those done. Just kept fiddling with the darn palette.

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #155 on: August 29, 2008, 04:57:56 pm
i have a question.. what are the sizes for the background tiles? also 8x8? and can backgrounds be animated?
also.. can the palettes swap between screens?

so in the first screen i have pallettes ABCD, then a wile further i have just AC and then later on fill it up like ACEF.. or something like that?
and does the same go for sprites (im my head i have his blaster change colour, dependant on what special attack it has)

Offline xenobond

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #156 on: August 29, 2008, 05:24:55 pm
Yees, I was just playing mega man with the palette window displayed.
In top man stage in mm3, the background lights strobe through a few colors for one of the colors in that palette.
When going from screen to screen, palettes can get swapped out for both background and sprite palettes.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #157 on: August 29, 2008, 05:33:41 pm
Background tiles are 8x8 pixels, but the colour matrix on them usually is 2x2 tiles, 16x16.
Also keep in mind that for sprites you can overlay them without them being on a grid of any kind, sprites are freely placeable.

The palette changing thing works as well, just as you said. Palettes can be changed at ANY time, but if you do not want it to be a visible change you have to have a screen with less palettes before you introduce new ones. So yes colourcycling and changing colours on a palette is possible as well, that would obviously apply to all the tiles using said palette.

Same goes for sprite colours, you can change the 4 sprite palettes at any time.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Lord Ash

• View Profile

Reply #158 on: August 29, 2008, 08:42:03 pm
well, I have several other pictures, but this is pretty much the culmination of them all. It is the "GeoThermal PowerPlant", the tubes dump lava between them, with timed gaps, the gears are background objects. Of note, the gears are 'auto-shapes', and aren't aligned to the grid yet, so they are pretty inefficient, but I wanted to see how they would look.

it is pretty shabby compared to the awesome work I see you guys doing, but I can tell that I have gotten better. I should really do a lot more on this, but school has me pretty pressed for time.

EDIT: I just was going over the previous entries, mine is very similar to Rosse's, but his is much better  :blind:
I am hoping it is not too similar :(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:48:28 pm by Lord Ash »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #159 on: August 29, 2008, 09:03:04 pm
Awesome stuff so far guys :D  Just to expand on the whole scrolling issue, the NES could by default do a single screen split (as seen in Megaman 6's sunset area) and in lots of other games too (e.g. the hud in Super Mario Bros).  But you could also do scrolling by having animated tiles, which I think in the case of the multi-layered forest one of you posted would work great.