AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!  (Read 296566 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!

Reply #120 on: August 26, 2008, 09:45:53 pm
not to sound negative/stubborn or anything but whenever i post my work, i can practically predict what types of crits im going to get(most of them i have already thought about and investigated while working). hence if i ignore something, it's not out of spite, but simply because it would conflict with my original expression/goals, and end up leading me away from what i original sought out to do.
I suppose i just have to be more clear outfront what i intended to accomplish and what i chose to ignore or sacrifice.
I was being arguementative because i wanted to delve into areas which would actually be of interest to me and end up helping me, but noone was even interested in exploring the thoughts with me. maybe this thread/etc just isnt the place to do that

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #121 on: August 27, 2008, 12:55:01 am
Just cuz you know what crits you will get before you get them doesn't mean you should disregard them if you get them. It means things you thought might be problems turn out to actually be problems in the eyes of the theoretical player of your videogame. Of course you shouldn't do everything the player would like and I agree there's a point of necessary sacrifice and then there's compromise after that which is not artistically a good thing. But if you find yourself rarely or never taking crits you should reassess what you're expecting from your own art. If you're certain what you're trying to do before you do it, it just may be the case you're not communicating with anybody with your art but with yourself. If you want to communicate with others, give a little way towards their desires. There's expression, and there's communication. In the latter, critique matters. In the former not so much.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #122 on: August 27, 2008, 09:06:49 am
Really like the direction that ptoing has taken. Games like this, that seem to be all the rage in indie gaming at the moment, would have worked wonders on the actual NES hardware as they only need to use tiny sprites. There is also a strangely appealing quality to games that have tiny characters.

Jason.

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #123 on: August 27, 2008, 09:53:39 am
Really like the direction that ptoing has taken. Games like this, that seem to be all the rage in indie gaming at the moment, would have worked wonders on the actual NES hardware as they only need to use tiny sprites. There is also a strangely appealing quality to games that have tiny characters.

Jason.

I think that in the NES era, people wanted big sprites with expression...umm more "detail" and better graphics if you will.
The appealing quality, i believe is something of an "acquired taste" for us, same with dunno, 2x sized pixel art...i love it, but most people find it hideous...same with retro gaming graphics in general.

*I* dont think it would have been "graphically" aclaimed in it's time, tho, personally im loving the aproach.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #124 on: August 27, 2008, 10:06:12 am
Still, trying to think up a boss. In the meantime, here's my Mega Man:

C&C?

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #125 on: August 27, 2008, 11:41:17 am
I'm not sure about my mockup. I'd like to create something which fits into the original megaman universe and has a simple and (maybe sometimes) abstract geometry like ptoing's nes stuff (e.g. U-Head), but I end always to detailed.

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #126 on: August 27, 2008, 12:24:53 pm
Looking good. I have the same problem and have restarted my entry several times trying to simplify things. I guess this is the same problem that the Megaman 9 team have been facing.

Jason.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #127 on: August 27, 2008, 01:19:09 pm
I'm diggin' it, Rosse... I think it just needs more variety in color. You essentially have a single brown ramp right now.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #128 on: August 27, 2008, 02:31:04 pm
not to sound negative/stubborn or anything but whenever i post my work, i can practically predict what types of crits im going to get(most of them i have already thought about and investigated while working). hence if i ignore something, it's not out of spite, but simply because it would conflict with my original expression/goals, and end up leading me away from what i original sought out to do.
I suppose i just have to be more clear outfront what i intended to accomplish and what i chose to ignore or sacrifice.
I feel like I'm reading my old self

if you have to be argumentative about it, you already lost. People see only what you show trough your picture, so if they see only one option it's your fault. I personally would have gotten into whatever alternative you proposed, but I saw nothing of the sort in the picture, if you opted out of using brightness contrast to convey the platforms, it would've been fine if you used maybe direction of your lines to do it, or some kind of alternative. Instead, I have yet to see what you are trying to implement that leads you to "experiment". You just argue that clarity simply isnt necesary because you can just expect the player to accomodate to your mistakes.

Experimenting is ok, but to come up with no results and expect people to see some kind of wisdom in this is nonsense.
http://www.davidhellman.net/blog/the-art-of-braid-part-3/ Baird does far more visual experimentation than it is perhaps posible in a NES mockup, yet when an element in the background was simply a little misleading it was removed for the player's sake.

ROSSE: What the hell happened to your mock? I *think* what I see somewhere there underneath looks cool, but to be honest it is far too darkened to know what the hell is going on. Are you trying to use the "fade" raster feature?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 02:40:45 pm by Conceit »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #129 on: August 27, 2008, 03:23:06 pm
Nice start Rosse. I made a supersimple sloppy edit to show how a bit variation in lightness can go a long way.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.