AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!  (Read 296068 times)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!

Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:45:14 am
Oh wow! I just looked on Wiki, and you're right, there is a female boss by the name of Splash-Woman.
Also, I had no idea that this new Mega-Man 9 game was being designed to look like it's out of the 80s! That's neat!

I'm actually a little confused... I heard of and played a Mega-Man game called 'Mega-Man X' for SNES. Doesn't "X" mean it's the tenth game? If so, why is 9 just getting made now?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 11:56:35 am
Mega Man X is an entire different spinoff series.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 12:11:52 pm
yes, megaman has like 5 different series by now; each characterized by a specific tone and a different look (for example megaman characters have little detail (blips, knick-nacks, fins, spikes...etc) on their armor, and can have bare chests. X characters must by rule have chest armor and usually have a lot more bulk and clutter...MegamanX as a character also goes from a total boy scout to someone who is concerned about the effects of war and whatnot.

Or atleast it used to be, now it's like they're creating new series for the hell of it, no diference in tone or look.Just re-set continuities and a few minor gameplay tweaks.

Personally, I think this prompt is much too narrow for a Mockup Frenzy.... Everyone is asked to make a mockup of the same game? ???

You're missing the point! this is our chance as pixel artists to prove our worth and restore honor to pixelart by showing CAPCOM that NES does not equal halfassed graphics  >:(

or something
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:21:29 pm by Conceit »

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 03:20:00 pm
I think this is an awesome challenge, being the mega Mega Man-fan that I am  :P

Going to work on this instantly!

Offline Zccc

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 04:44:11 pm
I would participate, but I don't know the NES restrictions... :(
Those in the image are confusing me.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 04:51:33 pm
Mockup Frenzy #7 was also on NES specs, and there are lots of helpful posts in that thread that go over some of the more confusing parts of the spec.  Also, no one is going to string you up if you have one extra color in one tile or something, the main idea here is just to show capcom what they COULD have done, instead of what they did :)

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 05:22:20 pm
Oh wow! I just looked on Wiki, and you're right, there is a female boss by the name of Splash-Woman.

This is what she looks like (in greyscale at least):

It's from the official achievements list for the game:

http://inside.mygamercard.net/2008/08/12/achievements-for-mega-man-9-reward-the-hardcore/

edit: apparently they didn't appreciate me hotlinking directly to their server, so I fixed the image url.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:34:10 pm by Lee N »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 06:21:04 pm
i think it would be worth mentioning how many tiles a person should be considering using since this would also be a valid limitation on the NES and this challenge though i dunno how many tiles the new megaman will be using per level or whatnot(i guess you can find/look at the original tilesets as an example)..
i did some digging and found this: http://nocash.emubase.de/everynes.htm#pputilememory
from what i understand(and i could be wrong) sprites and tiles are stored in some ppu memory thing inside the cartridges.. and up to 512 8x8 tiles can be used for tiles/sprites.
also you can use a background palette for each 2x2 group of 8x8 tiles i think..
if anyone else wants to interpret that information on that site, go ahead.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:20:47 pm by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 09:09:58 pm
and up to 512 8x8 tiles can be used for tiles/sprites.
true. That's what will be your practical limit within a level. The specs remain vague on "whatever mapping mechanism (blablablah)", and imho that's for purpose. Electronically speaking, you could very well make your cartridge in such a way that a special "write" to character rom switch the circuitry so that you're now using the tileset for level 2 rather than the initial tileset.

That's theoretically possible, and i guess this has been done in latest games, but be prepared to be charged a higher price per cartridge if you opt for that technology :P

Offline gamingjustin

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 11:35:58 pm
That's nuts. I was going to do Warp Man myself until I saw Ryona's Warp Woman!... Sorta had an idea he'd pick Megaman up, teleport to drop you above some spikes, and you'd have to navigate the right way in time-- something along those lines. Ya beat me to it! Anyway, I ended up creating TEMPO MAN. I guess the series never felt the need for a music-themed boss what with all the music references already (Rock, Roll, Blues, Bass, Treble) and the great music, period.

This is all I have done for now, but I plan to make a Megaman-sized sprite as well as some level tiles. He's just got some shades, spiky hair and some big headphones. Yeah, nothin' too exciting yet.

And yeah, I agree Warp Woman needs to fill up a bit more of that frame. It's great the way it is now, but I've seen your other excellent sprites and I'm quite sure it could be even better. (I think mine's too big actually...)