AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!  (Read 296581 times)

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Re: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!

Reply #70 on: August 22, 2008, 06:11:15 am
Great mockups here already! I especially like vierbit's approach of a slightly tilted perspective (so that you can see where megaman's walking on).
NES restrictions are very fun to work with, definitely going to do more mockups. I did a very generic one (Megaman 1 perhaps?), but I won't work further on it (adding enemies or a boss). I'll try a new one from scratch.

[edit]
Is tile-flipping (x/y) allowed? I think it's possible for sprites (Zelda 1 did it at least), but what about background tiles?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:13:24 am by Rosse »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #71 on: August 22, 2008, 06:28:30 am
sprites yes, bg tiles no, but you could store 1 extra tile and voila :P

also, <3 sharkman, awesome stuff :)

Offline joe123

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: August 22, 2008, 11:41:42 am
 :)

This is my mock-up..
Might change some things, take the turret anyway. Planning to do the boss soon.

Btw, do we just create one.. 256x224 map? or the whole.. level?

Also, on the boss picture, do we use the colours in the pallete or can we use our own?

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #73 on: August 22, 2008, 01:49:09 pm
Aaand.. the boss:

I call 'her' Snow Woman.. for now (name pending) :P
Also them yellow thingies in the mugshot are the blinking sprite thingies you see while you're selecting a boss.

I'm a little late commenting on this, but I think you can push the feminine qualities a lot with the pose. Right now the football player-like stance is communicating "macho" - all the other robot masters have it but they're dudes so having a female robot master requires a bit of straying from the beaten path.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline mice

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: August 22, 2008, 06:38:47 pm
'I'm tinman'
Still not megamanish.

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #75 on: August 23, 2008, 12:05:53 am
BruteMan is looking good too, though I gotta say, I liked his original design best.
I think making him hover doesn't really work with his name because flight suggests agility. A guy like BruteMan would work best being well-grounded with thick legs, like an inmovable mountain.

Yea, on second thought I agree. He'll get his legs back.
I like where Warp Woman's going, looks good.

Here's the avatar for Brute Man  :)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #76 on: August 23, 2008, 02:30:24 am

I didn't know spriting with restrictions was so much damn fun, why didn't anyone ever tell me?! :P

Someone tell me if I broke any rules. All I really followed was the color restriction per tile, is there some kind of height restriction on these things?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: August 23, 2008, 02:39:57 am
Heh, that's an awesome take on Megaman, Atnas. The only thing I think needs fixing is the face... the eyes look absolutely empty, for some reason. Perhaps because they're 'attached' to the helmet. You actually did great with the limitations... I broke apart the sprite and you pulled off some nice work. The transition between the skin tone and light blue wasn't even noticeable until I actually broke apart the sprite.

It actually looks like it'd go great with Vierbit's tileset... which is also awesome, even if it doesn't really look anything like Megaman in the slightest.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 02:46:38 am by Dusty »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #78 on: August 23, 2008, 02:46:28 am
Thanks.  ;D I kind of meant him to look lifeless because of something Arne said which made me look at the first few games in a whole new light.
Quote from: ANJ
Megaman has always been a silent lethal assassin to me. He got in there and did the job without bla bla bla teen angst. His mouth is just a neutral line most of the time, and the first games didn't really have any lines/speech for him.

I'll do some tiles for the little guy tomorrow.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #79 on: August 23, 2008, 08:25:00 am
Quote from: ANJ
Megaman has always been a silent lethal assassin to me. He got in there and did the job without bla bla bla teen angst. His mouth is just a neutral line most of the time, and the first games didn't really have any lines/speech for him.
WHAT?...he's nuts! if he's just a silent assasin then what was the megaman2 ending all about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiT_3kwgvwQ

I thought that obviously said murderer trauma, and a Pinochio complex!  O_o interesting though....I just cant wrap my mind around getting "silent assasin" out of that  :o

maybe he could be played as a robot who because of Dr.Right's morals WANTS to have feelings...and that's his pinochio complex =)

Atnas: Awesome little megaman! that's an excellent blend of good volume and symbolic anime-ish expression!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:37:13 am by Conceit »