AuthorTopic: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!  (Read 296098 times)

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Re: Mockup Frenzy #8: Megaman!

Reply #280 on: November 23, 2008, 10:50:16 pm
Geez... it's Arne! Like QuickSilva, I'm a fan of your work. Glad you like my version of MM too. It bring tears to my eyes :'(

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #281 on: November 25, 2008, 04:50:52 am

Hydralic man. Does he really need to use a black BG? Elaboration:

first off
 Arne im a huge fan of your stuff, its a great inspiration to me and ur one of my idols for art, love ur style.

i dont think he needs it, but i was looking for more of a shiny look, less of a matte colour, and i couldnt show enough shine in his color with only 2 purps and black. i like your redesign, but he doesnt have those trademark mean lookin MM boss eyes. He looks more like one of his pals.

also when hes in full contraction his arms would make a scanline with 6 sprites, which would cause flickering with bullets and mm sprite overlapping

besides i think the black BG for extra colours makes him more original, i like doing original things ^_^ thats why i made hydraulic man extendable and different than any other MM character

nice edit tho!!! its more polished than mine
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #282 on: November 25, 2008, 04:58:11 am
Oooh, megaman thread!

First, I must defend my stance that Megaman is a white faced silent assasin. I had the European version of Megaman 1. I did play the second one as well, but I never owned it. Megaman had a light yellow skintone with white eyes in the early games (maybe just the first). The later games used a darker pink skin tone, and gave him more character development graphics. In the first game we're told very little about Megaman, there's hardly any art of him, the ingame sprite aside. Rockman (JP) has a chubby Megaman all over the main screen, but the EU version only has the logo. I'm sure people who played the later games have a different impression of the character.

I really disliked how they changed the gfx for the dropped stuff in MM2, but they made up for it with the cute little mini frogs and mini birds.

Here's my most recent take on MegaGirl, but it needs to be iterated more. It's a bit similar to Atna's thing on page 2. I was never a fan of cone feet chubbyman.

I think MM9 should have been to MM what Dwarf Fortress is to RLs... 2D, but with massive feature creep. I don't mind breaking limitations. Hardware restrictions are useful to force a more consistent, unified, readable look. Sometimes artist can go a bit bonkers with pointless muddy gradients if they're given too many colors. I tend to think that the NES palette was a bit too restricted though. Another bitplane would've been nice, and a better global (64 color) palette.

First off...I was complaining more about the personality that "silent assassin" implied, rather than to the fact that he's very pale white...that's pretty much up to artist's interpretation =)

Secondly, I really really fucking loved that CrashGal you made once...I secretly worshiped that picture for ages before I met you...now I can just tell you straight up  ;D

Third......that seems much more megamanish than the real hydraulic man. Awesome =D

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #283 on: November 25, 2008, 05:20:02 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MegamanBox.jpg

is this seriously the artwork?

You mean, I could of had an art job at capcom when I was in 3rd grade?

WTF!
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #284 on: November 25, 2008, 08:39:38 pm
Regarding my sprite:

I think the scanline sprite limit thing could be avoided by either:

A, Having the arms and legs baked into the same sprite chunk when he's not extended.
B, Flipping the arms up or to the sides. The arms could be floppy and flail about as the body bit moves.

I didn't align much of the stuff to an 8*8 grid, so quite possible I'm being inefficient there.

As for highlights, they're generally not done on early MM sprites because the of the color limitations, so I thought it would be more consistent to remove the highlights.

---

Silent assassin might not be the best term. Silent... lone commando, Silent Ronin. Silent one man army. Whatever. Assassin might be the wrong term because assassins may spare the body guards of their target. Megaman's mission is assassination though. His goal is to eliminate the leaders of a a regime. Perhaps in speed-runs he's more of an assassin, only killing grunts when he absolutely have to, getting swiftly to the boss.

---

The EU artwork (which I have) was different from the crappy US one. The JP artwork was the most faithful. MM9's cover is playing on the US cover, not the EU or JP one, so the joke is kinda lost over here.

---

As for my MegaGirl designs. Yeah, the Crash girl turned out the best. I've been wanting to return to that project for some time, but... I have a lot of projects. Perhaps such a project could be posted in the low spec forum? Going from low spec to high spec while staying faithful to low spec might be something that is interesting to this community.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #285 on: November 26, 2008, 05:10:25 pm
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #286 on: November 27, 2008, 06:47:47 pm
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #287 on: November 27, 2008, 11:57:20 pm
Things can go too far... Really..

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #288 on: November 28, 2008, 03:13:14 pm
As for my MegaGirl designs. Yeah, the Crash girl turned out the best. I've been wanting to return to that project for some time, but... I have a lot of projects. Perhaps such a project could be posted in the low spec forum? Going from low spec to high spec while staying faithful to low spec might be something that is interesting to this community.

Dont think I need to say it...but I for one would LOVE to see that =)

Offline berserkx33

• View Profile

Reply #289 on: December 05, 2008, 02:41:55 am

I'm just finished this Boss, he is Tupanman, and is based in one native hero from my homeland, his weapon is the Seed Thrower, he is a gram demon, but he is the one who told humanity how to be wise, kind, fair and inteligent. His desgine is a mix of Sun and Plants

His first designe looked like a Frensh-Friesman, but this i liked must, i will be making his stage soon, wish is located in Amazonian Forests.

Spect a lot of water, a Fire Snake sub boss and a lot of Tree action.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:44:13 am by berserkx33 »
WTF! My bright colors took over all the pallet! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I hate you 16 colors limitation!

Please visit my GALLERY for more of my works!!!
http://img14.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=tamagotchit.jpg