AuthorTopic: Some space marines.  (Read 7457 times)

Offline Slayer of Kings

• View Profile

Some space marines.

on: December 25, 2005, 11:59:29 pm

These are just some space marines for a Warhammer 40K game I am currently developing on my own (for those of you who have heard of Warhammer). Please, give me a little C&C, maybe some tips of how I could improve. Btw the pallette is in there too. I've been inspired by a few other pixel artists, and if u want you can check out the actual things I'm basing these off of at the Warhammer site (warhammer.com) and find Warhammer 40k then look for the miniatures range, and then the space marines.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 12:06:04 am by Slayer of Kings »

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Some space marines.

Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:39:39 am
Here's the link, just so everyone doesn't have to search through the site:
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spacemarines/catalog/spacemarines/default.htm

Your sprites don't look bad, their forms look correct and they have nice poses. 

To me, however, they look a bit too much like a coloring book.  In order for the sprites to look more realistic, you'll need to incorporate more shadows/highlights and less outlines.  This will give them more depth and realism.

Also, I would define a lightsource more clearly.  This will also add to the realism.

So, overall, keep the outlines, but rework the coloring.  It's looking nice, good luck!

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 03:00:44 am
Got a couple crits. Hope you don't mind that I did an edit for you, because I rather like them.

(Just modified the first two)

Main things I changed:

Move the crotch up, lengthened the legs.
Increased the contrast on the colors greatly.
Lowered the contrast on the gun colors, to set them apart from the character.
Repositioned the legs slightly, pulled them backwards, to line up the character's center of gravity.
Changed the shading to have the light coming from above and slightly to the left.
Put a shadow under the gun and arms, to pop them out and push the lower torso back slightly.
Added a bit more armor detail.
Changed the hands so that they're about the same size.
Moved the head down and back a bit.
Changed the visor to look a bit deeper.
Made the shoulder plate larger and higher up.

That's pretty much it, took about eight minutes or so. Hopefully it'll be helpful!

Offline Psychotic_Carp

• Smile!
    • View Profile
    • Forever Broken

Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 05:30:54 am
Be careful with what you do with warhammer, Dr Fengs project on it was thwarted by games workshop
- Dave Barr

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 05:56:54 am
Wow... nice, Pawidge.  :o
1337age,... kudoz.  :o

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 09:35:46 am

These are just some space marines for a Warhammer 40K game I am currently developing on my own (for those of you who have heard of Warhammer). Please, give me a little C&C, maybe some tips of how I could improve. Btw the pallette is in there too. I've been inspired by a few other pixel artists, and if u want you can check out the actual things I'm basing these off of at the Warhammer site (warhammer.com) and find Warhammer 40k then look for the miniatures range, and then the space marines.

Great sprites you made there. I've heard of warhammer myself from the game liero xtreme. Something on the sprite that's lacking is good contrast. You might want to make the shadows very dark but not black like or black. I see you got some hue variation on the blue shades. The yellow should have hue variation also. Make the shadows of the yellow into more orangish. As it follows this rule, the lighter the more yellow it will appear. The darker the more blueish it will appear to be. I did an edit for you also.

This edit really is just an example to help improve it. You don't have to use this in your game. I hope you get the idea. Notice in the image above, the blue shadow rule and yellowish shadow rule can make it appear SNES looking or those video game looking style.

Offline Slayer of Kings

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 09:30:27 pm
Hey thanks a lot for all the help guys, especially Pawige and Andy Tran, you guys rock. I especially liked Pawiges edit, looks really nice, more of what I was trying to accomplish in making this. Just one more questiont though: could anyone tell me a little more about Dr Fengs warhammer project? Games workshop hasn't responded to any of my emails, and I'd like to learn a little more about what he was doing, and why they shut him down and stuff like that. If anyone can help with this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again guys!

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 10:03:24 pm
  My friend used to make a WH mod for the game Liero Xtreme. It was an awesome mod. Railguns, multimelta, vortex grenade, etc. He did the pixel art for the mod also. One of the most popular mods for that game. I hope you check it out at lieroxtreme.thegaminguniverse.com
 (It's in the liero files forum under ultimate file list.)

Offline DRfeng

• View Profile
    • my homepage

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 11:30:43 pm
Just one more questiont though: could anyone tell me a little more about Dr Fengs warhammer project? Games workshop hasn't responded to any of my emails, and I'd like to learn a little more about what he was doing, and why they shut him down and stuff like that. If anyone can help with this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again guys!

http://www.vectory.mybin.biz/40k/screen_03.html
GamesWorkshop appreciates "Fanwork" THQ (licenseholder for 40kgames) not so.
And i shut the project b4 any trouble could start.

Offline Slayer of Kings

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 12:27:55 am
Holy crap that looks sweet. Dr Feng, do u actually play Warhammer 40K? Cuz it looks like you know a lot about the subject just by looking at the pic. (I play quite a bit myself with friends and such.). Any way you would continue this game?

Offline DRfeng

• View Profile
    • my homepage

Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 11:39:31 am
Holy crap that looks sweet. Dr Feng, do u actually play Warhammer 40K? Cuz it looks like you know a lot about the subject just by looking at the pic. (I play quite a bit myself with friends and such.). Any way you would continue this game?

lets do not hijack this thread. u r allways welcome to pm me. :-)

Offline DRfeng

• View Profile
    • my homepage

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 03:05:43 pm

i played warhammer 15 years ago - my son is playing 40k and it was ment to be a x-mas gift. I will restart this game with WW2 sprites.

http://www.vectory.mybin.biz/40k/screen_02.html

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 05:05:07 pm
Got a couple crits. Hope you don't mind that I did an edit for you, because I rather like them.

(Just modified the first two)

Main things I changed:

Move the crotch up, lengthened the legs.
Increased the contrast on the colors greatly.
Lowered the contrast on the gun colors, to set them apart from the character.
Repositioned the legs slightly, pulled them backwards, to line up the character's center of gravity.
Changed the shading to have the light coming from above and slightly to the left.
Put a shadow under the gun and arms, to pop them out and push the lower torso back slightly.
Added a bit more armor detail.
Changed the hands so that they're about the same size.
Moved the head down and back a bit.
Changed the visor to look a bit deeper.
Made the shoulder plate larger and higher up.

That's pretty much it, took about eight minutes or so. Hopefully it'll be helpful!

you peg'd the picture >.>
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Slayer of Kings

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 09:16:10 pm
Yeah, you did. Can u post the bmp so that I can get a good look at the real colors/shades that u used? That would really help.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 03:08:11 am
Augh, photobucket must've turned it into a .jpg, sorry about that. I'll change it to a .gif when I get home on Tuesday.