AuthorTopic: [WIP] Jak  (Read 2985 times)

Offline Mr Dani

• View Profile

[WIP] Jak

on: August 16, 2008, 10:28:11 pm
Yay, this is my first post on pixelation :D

So, this is not my first work, but i must say, im pretty new to pixel art, this is Jak (http://www.myps3.com.au/img/news/NewsSuggest_XX832283.jpg)  and im not happy with it, i don't know why, could you please tell me what should i fix?:D

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Jak

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 10:38:39 pm
You've pixelled the hair as if it were flat to his head, it need more volume, you'll notice the hair in the picture is almost as tall as his face.
You've also done what is called "pillow-shading", meaning instead of having a definite light source, you've just made the outsides dark and gotten lighter towards the center of the sprite.  You need to decide where your light source is, then add highlights and shadows accordingly.
The pose is boring and static, as well as unnatural.  No one stands with their feet that close together.  Decide what you want to do with his spine, because straight vertical is never exciting.  Get rid of the "Lego man" pose by widening his stance and doing something with his hands, rather than having his arms down by his sides.  The interior black lines aren't doing you any favors either.
You've got far too many colors, and this is because you've got colors that are way too close in value to the neighboring color.  Add more contrast, makes the light colors lighter and the darks darker.

Offline Mr Dani

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 10:45:22 pm
Thanks for the feedback, yeah its not my best work, and what you told me is true, i might re do it following the suggestions you gave me ^_^!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:53:49 pm
just some quick notes :

You've also done what is called "pillow-shading", meaning instead of having a definite light source, you've just made the outsides dark and gotten lighter towards the center of the sprite.
what you have got here though is some details, like the crease in the pants, shown just with the darker shade.  this is good technique and should be expanded upon to solve the issue mentioned later of the interior black lines.

No one stands with their feet that close together.

Just going to quickly edit this out because it's completely false.  Many people stand heels together, and many more people stand with one heel pressed into the cavity behind the big toe.  This is especially true of slender people where weight is far easier to distribute.  the post is boring, but not for this reason :).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 12:55:22 am
Perhaps "I find it uncomfortable to stand with both feet parallel and touching, pointing directly outward from my body rather than positioned at a more stable angle" would clarify what I meant  :P
Proximity and position were my issues, rather than just proximity, as I unintentionally implied.