AuthorTopic: [WIP] Dragon Warrior 4 Battle Theme  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Keizgon

• View Profile
    • Keizgon Arts

[WIP] Dragon Warrior 4 Battle Theme

on: August 10, 2008, 04:00:20 pm
One day, a year ago I created a few sprites based on the old NES's Dragon Warrior 4 monsters. Why? Well, for one, it was my favorite NES RPG since the monster sprites impressed me what you could do with the 8 bit theme. Second, I was bored and had plenty of time in the world.

Ok, off the bat, there are problems with it, obviously:

1) I hate the cat. Proportions are horrible, shading is questionable, and color choice is VERY questionable. I am thinking I should just give it a new stance entirely, such as on all fours looking at the user.
2) I think the Beetle Knight with wings is probably the most native to the theme (since the use of black shading to blend with the background is used frequently). However, it doesn't seem to blend with the others, since it has no shading at all (if you ignore the black shading). I thought it didn't need any. Note that I used a quick reference to the StagBug from Dragon Warrior 4. If it looks too similar, I am sorry, avoiding this is somewhat hard for the 8 bit theme for this particular angle. Rest assured I got my teenage editing angst out of me years ago back in 2003 when editing things for RPG Maker peeked my interest. ;)
3) I'm pretty savy with the red hatted mage on the right there, except maybe the shoes I stole (poor me :P) from the Beetle Knight.
4) The terrapin, or turtle-like, fighter I am iffy on. While I do like seeing it look more alive than just standing there, I can't help but feel confused with the stance. Maybe it's my poor lighting? Note that it's head is different than any turtle you ever seen, and yes this is intentional for creativity reasons. ::)

I might show more little strange monster things in the future in this thread if I need some more C&C on the style. I really should edit the current ones right now, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to hear from some more professional level of 8 bit graphic art.

I would appreciate some C&C based on the 8 bit theme Dragon Warrior 4 created.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:40:52 pm by KratosX »

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Dragon Warrior 4 Battle Theme

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:08:55 am
I agree with your own crits, the turtle is hard to read in the head area, the cat is also hard to read.  The mage is cool, but with those red striped shoes on he looks like sonic the hedgehog in a trench coat and top.  no real complaints about the beetle, except to maybe shade him some.

Offline Keizgon

• View Profile
    • Keizgon Arts

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:18:06 am
Hello again. Sorry I've been away for awhile.

I decided to add more and update the sprites. I also included a player battle sprite I'm working on. My goal is to make it isometric and animated. I might save it for another topic but I cannot predict when I can get on the internet nowadays. :(

I'm pretty sure it's no longer 8-bit themed on certain aspects, but oh well. I'm trying to make a game with something called Byond so I can't be too picky since I'm programming and drawing.

C&C is welcome. I know I'm not that great of a pixel artist out there compared to most of you. ;)

Offline Keizgon

• View Profile
    • Keizgon Arts

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:18:56 am

Gave a little minor detail and shine to the 'Kat', 'Venom Lizard', 'Blaze N' Bullet', 'Mage', and the isometric character sprites. Changed the color to the 'Beetle Knight' to not look too colorful. Added 'Hell Hound'.