AuthorTopic: Rawr! Revived Work in Progress!  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Rawr! Revived Work in Progress!

on: August 07, 2008, 03:56:30 pm
Hello all, it's been a while since I've posted anything for critique, but I should hope I've still been learning and improving. Some of you may remember my old alien dinosaur.. thing which needed a lot of work. Because of this, I stopped working on it. Anyways, it's back and I've completely reworked it....

10 colors right now.

I was going to be for the challenge at PixelJoint, but I think I might just do it for funsies, comments and criticism are welcomed, updates should come fairly regularly.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline amerup

• View Profile

Re: Rawr! Revived Work in Progress!

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 01:44:08 pm
Well, I think this could use brighter, more saturated colors, rather than boring colors.
(Unless it's supposed to be nighttime. =P)

The shading is great, especially the face.

Submit it to the challenge. =]

Love it. =)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 03:49:10 pm
All the internal forms look very blobby still, almost pillowshaded.  This shows through in the face where the dithering is very effective, but the forms are still somewhat flat and confusing.  I'd work on defining the musculature and skeleton of the beast just a bit more before you dive too far into finish and polish...for example, how does it close its mouth?

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 04:07:29 pm
All the internal forms look very blobby still, almost pillowshaded.  This shows through in the face where the dithering is very effective, but the forms are still somewhat flat and confusing.  I'd work on defining the musculature and skeleton of the beast just a bit more before you dive too far into finish and polish...for example, how does it close its mouth?

Thanks for the advise Adam, I have been working on the muscles a lot recently, and it's getting a bit better I think, I still have a lot to do on it of course, but it's getting there. Also, closing his mouth? HA! His face is frozen in a constant state of snarl. I kid, That's something I have never taken into consideration before... Also, it is supposed to be at night, which is the reason for all the blueish greens and purples.

A mini update as well...

Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Lunar

• Programmer/Spriter
    • View Profile
    • Skyfire

Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 06:49:50 pm
Looks pretty good.  It has a unique style to it.  Face looks great, the shading is well done in that area, I like the spit dripping from the teeth  ;).  But its body looks a little disjointed at parts, like around the torso.  Also, the way his neck comes off the torso looks unnatural.

-Lunar