AuthorTopic: 3D based backgrounds for pixeled sprites  (Read 4517 times)

Offline DayDream

• View Profile
    • spriteattack.com

3D based backgrounds for pixeled sprites

on: December 23, 2005, 06:03:51 am
!! Warning !!
This is and doesn't intend to be "pure pixelart" - whatever some people think that is - but a simple sharing of an interesting approach that might be helpful to some.

I am playing around with easier ways to create backgrounds with a dark dungeon atmosphere for cutscenes in a GBA game and turned to 3D tools to work out the perspective and shading of the backgrounds. I am taking those into the paint program to modify them to a less rendered feel before adding the sprites on top.

Here is a step by step [ still missing text though ]
http://www.spriteattack.com/anguna_b2_stepbystep/

I used Silo to create the basic 3D model, Bryce for the rendering and PhotoPaint to touch it up.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 09:23:26 am by DayDream »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: 3D based backgrounds for pixeled sprites

Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 09:37:42 am
You'll get a more pixelly effect when color reducing if you use positional dithering instead of floyd-steinberg..
also consider using more pixely textures, it may reduce the blurriness of the result (particularly the rocks in pic 1 suffer from this.)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 09:41:41 am
Personally not a fan of this type of work at all. The issue here is that the dramatic lighting creates contrast issues that make discernible volume and visibility of the 'gaming area' very difficult. If it were some sort of adventure game where the walkable area is 'safe' it'd be ok, but if it's an action game, clarity is paramount in design. It may be a fast method (?) , but it doesn't make for good game art.

Offline DayDream

• View Profile
    • spriteattack.com

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 12:07:23 pm
Ai - true... I took the quick and dirty path... atm. it's all just testing and playing around with a new ways to create content quicker by using the 3D models for the definition of proper light and shadow and perspective.

Helm - I agree this style would not work for an action title as you can't control the background enough to ensure good playability... but these scenes are cutscenes only - static with some text on top of the image... and yes... the speed is the main issue in this exercise as it is for homebrew gba project I am helping out with some pixels to replace the "coder art"...

http://www.spriteattack.com/angunan
[ work in project ]

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 02:25:29 am
For a lot of your editing though, incremential drawing modes such as add/subtract with a hard-edged tool like pencilt will allow you to make much more distinct  highlights/shadows in pretty much the same time or less.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 06:09:05 am
i love your character designs.
mmm very nice

glad to see you around

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 01:00:05 am
hi daydream,
good to see you are keeping yourself busy ;)
good techique with the 3d, it should speed up the creation of the backgrounds quite a bit.
i guess the only issue with this, is that the cut-scenes and the in-game will look quite different... not sure if its a problem though, i personally dont mind.

anyway good to see some new stuff from you, keep it up  ;)