AuthorTopic: [WIP] Devil hunted  (Read 20568 times)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

[WIP] Devil hunted

on: August 07, 2008, 07:09:51 am
I sort of got distracted from my previous piece by this week's PJ challenge, which just happened to be something similar.

Original.

I know the wings look a bit flimsy. How's the anatomy? :crazy:

Edit:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:11:34 pm by Arachne »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] Devil hunted

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 07:24:11 am
The anatomy is great, actually. Not sure about the demon palette at all, though. Do you see how it's lacking a bottom, darker end?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:13:45 am
What's with the line on the deltoid (highest upper arm muscle) of the (demon's) left arm? Further you could try and put the gastronemicus (back side lower leg muscle, I tend not to know english names for most of these kinda body parts :P) up a bit more. Then the wings tend to come from below the trapezius, it may be possible for them to attach all the way at the spine, but you should think a bit more about what a wing can do, and with that, how you should add muscles. Right now nothing seems to clearly attach to the lower bone segment of the wing in order to move it. Now I know these wing's are probably just for show as they are small and ravaged, but even when something lost it's use, it is still there as it originally was. Even humans have a few useless muscles in their body left from evolution. Attempt to look for and at some bird and bat anatomy if you haven't already.

All I didn't talk about is either an error beyond my knowledge (pessimistic view I know haha), but more likely rather well done, like most of your work I've seen out here ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:05:37 pm by TrevoriuS »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:28:19 pm
Then the wings tend to come from below the trapezius, it may be possible for them to attack all the way at the spine

real wings are arms, and should ideally have muscles in most of the same places performing similar functions.  the shoulder is hard because there's no room for a second pectoral set, which is extremely necessary for flight, in the same way that a wing could never sprout from above the arm's scapula.  if we're going to talk about anatomy, we need to except that things with functioning wings and functioning arms are not possible with the standard mammalian bodyplan :P.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:50:17 pm
Though this is really awesome. I agree with Helm. Maybe more like so?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:08:04 pm
Then the wings tend to come from below the trapezius, it may be possible for them to attack all the way at the spine

real wings are arms, and should ideally have muscles in most of the same places performing similar functions.  the shoulder is hard because there's no room for a second pectoral set, which is extremely necessary for flight, in the same way that a wing could never sprout from above the arm's scapula.  if we're going to talk about anatomy, we need to except that things with functioning wings and functioning arms are not possible with the standard mammalian bodyplan :P.
Heh, misspelled attach, in addition to that, it is certainly possible. The scapula is holding the arm in place, but also moves on its own across the ribcage. If there are 2 segments of bone connecting by muscle to the spine or ribcage at another place of the back (could be a reason for him to be crouched and bent over like that), these segments could move a bit as well as yield a joint like the scapula does. But then, this does need some muscles to connect from spine to this bone, and from this bone to ribcage. As well as muscles from this bone to the bones of the wing itself (which would be more visible and therefore more important).

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 04:08:19 pm

Couldn't resist drawing over it a bit.

I addressed some of these issues, kinda...

-Look at his right leg, and imagine the arm isn't in front. It seems to join very thickly.

- The lat should be more of a single sweep. Right now that area of the back feels invented.

- The forearms and lower legs feel short (even taking foreshortening into consideration). That's probably because his hands and feet are almost larger than his head.

- If you can see the inside of the elbow on his left arm, you would see more of the bicep.

- He needs a clavicle.

- I moved his head up a bit to make room for a neck.

- If you straightened his torso out, it would look really long, especially compared to his legs.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 12:27:46 am
Ooh, thanks a lot, guys! That helps a ton. ;D

I think I was trying too hard to stay true to the original colorwise. I tried to figure out how much to darken the darkest shades. Then I just tried black.

I turned his back muscle into a sort of second arm to make it look as if he can actually move them. So now it's even more invented than before, but I hope this looks a bit more natural (hardly the right word, but you know what I mean :D).

As for demonic anatomy, I wasn't quite sure how human to make him, but I kept the short neck and big hands and feet from the original since I figured a short neck would make his jugular less exposed, and a creature made for fighting would have big hands and maybe big feet for balance. I don't know if that makes sense, though, since I don't know of any ferocious, bipedal predators. :P

Still some parts left I'm trying to fix, and I need to add shadows cast by wings and horns, but this is it for today. :)

Offline amerup

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 06:31:28 am
Amazing job so far, man.  :)
You really know how to shade muscles. o.o

Now dither. :P

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 07:16:19 am
Now dither. :P
:( I might have told you this earlier, but I personally wanna see what it looks like when you use minimal dithering in a piece.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)