AuthorTopic: [WIP] Devil hunted  (Read 20591 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: [WIP] Devil hunted

Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 02:46:18 pm
It almost does tho
Perhaps if it was lighter
yes, it might work then
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 03:27:39 pm
the brightness for that is correct, but i would also consider the shadows, as those would be effected by the color of the atmosphere and reflected light which is green. so try tinting the shadows a slight towards green (there shouldnt be any pitch black unless its a stylistic thing, even so, a very slight tint would look nice, even on the second darkest shade on the skin)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 03:29:31 pm by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 03:37:55 pm
his right wing should be
pointed more toward the background
rear foot could darken

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 12:57:52 am
I'm suprised noone has mentioned that he's (the monster) looking less scary with the new update. The sketchy version has a distinctly sinister look with his crooked teeth and hooded eyes. The new version has straightened all the teeth and has been given more of a wide, intense, slightly bug-eyed look which just doesn't suit for me. Especially since you've kept the salive dripping from his maw, it just looks comical to me at the moment.

Your the Queen of pixel fear! I know you can come up with a much scarier facial expression for the beast. The foundation for it is in you previous wip.

Also the perfectly spherical spot of light on his forhead and (his) left arm doesn't work for me.

But anyway, loving it (as allways with your work), it will be interesting to see you finish a peice without dithering! As that's a huge element of your established style. (which i'm a complete fangirl off *waves Arachne flag*)

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 04:48:18 am
heyy13 is right.  Eyes were scarier and more visceral in first image.  not to say this isn't awesome.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 05:15:11 am
This would be expressing madness more than sinister thoughts. Which I don't see as bad or less good as previous at all.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 07:23:22 pm
I'm convinced you need one additional buffer shade between the black and darkest red.  - not only to act as a buffer, but to help you give the image a bit more priority. Currently, nearly everything on your demon has been rendered as if it is on equal planes.  I think this is a result of you focusing too much on the detail and rim lighting that you forget the overall picture.

here's a very quick (and sloppy) paint over to help demonstrate what I mean...

I took out the back knee entirely because I felt it was cluttering up the head area.  The green background shade can hint to the knee well enough.  Also if you look at the lighting on the frontmost leg, I'd say it has fairly good priorety.  The lighting is strong on the upper part of the thigh.  The problem is this isn't consistent throughout the rest of the piece (areas such as the forearm and tops of the wings.).  Again, you were too focussed on getting detail in there.

Another way I guess you can describe your problem is for any given area you almost feel as if you should use the entire ramp, but in reality, depending on which part of the piece you're working on, you may be only using a portion of the ramp to define a shape. 

anyway.. I hope I'm making sense

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 10:06:00 pm

I have to admit, I've been feeling a bit reluctant to change it dramatically at this stage, and there are still some things I'm not sure how to fix, but I hope this takes care of the most important things. :)

OK, first of all, I increased the saturation of the brightest skin shades to make up for the green AA, so now the colors should seem less muddled. Added another skin shade a bit closer to green.

Not sure if the wings need changing since they're meant to be damaged rather than neat and symmetrical.

He does look less scary in a way, but I thought the old one looked scary in a cornered beast sort of way and that maybe something more intelligent would seem more threatening. I guess it's a matter of how you choose to read it?

Indigo, that makes perfect sense, and I seem to have more trouble keeping the more basic stuff in mind when trying more challenging things. :ouch: Anyhow, thanks a lot for another helpful edit. ;D

Edit: Nothing major, mostly palette changes and polishing.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:09:56 pm by Arachne »

Offline Lord Ash

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 07:06:23 am
this is really good,

some of the highlights, particularly the forehead, look a bit stiff or forced, but this is phenomenal

you are very talented

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 02:15:46 am
I like the current eyes more, the body makes him look evil, but the eyes seem a bit tortured.