AuthorTopic: The tower  (Read 4187 times)

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

The tower

on: August 26, 2008, 01:26:12 pm
Hi everyone, I'm working on a compo for the current PJ challenge, view from high place.
Here is my WIP but i have some big troubles about perspective, it does not look right to my eyes  :mean:

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: The tower

Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:27:18 pm
what exactly are you trying to pull off in your image? this would help us understand what type o fdirection you're seeking.

Offline un7

• unseven
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:32:33 pm
I thought you were going for the alien ship idea...

I don't see any perspective issues, not for now anyway. In your case, I think it's just a matter of how to leave an impression of distance and "greatness" of what I think is going to be the tower.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:39:13 pm
I think the main problem, at least to me, is the concept. Here you're looking down at a tower in the clouds. That already gives an amazing scale of height, as not only are their clouds surrounding this tower, meaning it is far above the clouds... but the angle of the tower gives the impression that we're looking down at it... from high above. And we're doing so from a cliff, that I would imagine has to be a lot higher than the tower itself.

I think the idea would tell a much better story if you were looking up at the tower instead of down on it, which is pretty much killing whatever impression you're trying to give this tower in the sky. That would though, require a complete reworking so I wouldn't be surprised if you denied this crit. I think a simpler fix would to make the tower at the same height as the cliff itself, so that we're looking towards the tower, instead of down at it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:46:20 pm by Dusty »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 02:43:22 pm
continueing on dusty's thoughts, you could maybe do a fish-eye lens type of thing where you''re looking both down and up at the tower.

Offline un7

• unseven
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 02:48:03 pm
The challenge is about pixeling "a scene as seen from a high vantage point". But if those are really clouds, then I agree with Dusty. You'll have to change the impression.

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 02:51:56 pm
I can't remake it the do from the floor lloking at the tower, it wouldn't fit the challenge theme.

Here is an approximative scheme of the scene : .

I think I should redo the tower and make it smaller and make the cloud circle more oval.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 05:11:00 pm
Based on the profile view of the scene, your perspective is all off. Quick NPA edit:

edit: The clouds should actually be a little lower in my edit than they are.