AuthorTopic: An Apple.  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Hiph-Op

• Hi ^^.
    • View Profile

An Apple.

on: August 25, 2008, 05:31:05 pm
Hi all, here is my first pixel art using Graphics Gale (an excellent program  ;D)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:42:18 pm by Hiph-Op »
Sorry if my english are too bad, im Spanish.

Offline kitty

• LAUGH! :]
    • View Profile

Re: An Apple.

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 06:04:18 pm
Hi! Welcome to Pixelation!
The biggest problems right now are the dithering on the middle green shade and the sharp angles around the outside. Apples are supposed to be round! You might also want to consider studying a real life apple to help your lighting.
I love the way it bounces :]
never pretend to be drunker than you really are

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 07:32:28 pm
Apples don't have do be perfect spherical. What's making his apple look misshapen is that he doesn't use what I call "pixel friendly angles / curves". I tried a edit to show how I would pixel a apple with the same shape but with pixel friendly curves. I hope you see what I did Hiph-Op, otherwise Derek Yu has written a small tutorial about "jaggies" (or use the forum-search for "jaggy" / "jaggies").
Can't say much about the lighting since I'm not a expert in it, but I would rather do it like my edit. When doing lighting I think the most important thing is to push the volumes as much as possible (just if you want to give a 3d feel of course). Your lighting looks too flat, so I changed the lightsource from a (nearly) straight right to a mid-right-front-top lightsource and increased the contrast. Color-wise I'd change the colors to something more green-yellow (my experience from painting green apples from photos).
The animation looks very cute. In animation it's very important to keep the volumes constant. While squeezing the apple it should extend a little bit more for my taste and the apple stem (right word?) is growing in the squeeze-position.
Good thing about using GGale, keep at it!
One last thing to mention. Use a neutral background (e.g. R:128, G:128, B:128) while pixeling. Complete white (or black) backgrounds alters your perception of the colors and if you don't know what you do it's easy to end in too desaturated or too saturated colors.

Good job so far, keep pixel pushing!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:34:32 pm by Rosse »

Offline Hiph-Op

• Hi ^^.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 03:58:35 pm
Thanks to all for the comments, they really help me, and Rosse, the link about the jaggies are really usefully.

Bye!
Sorry if my english are too bad, im Spanish.