AuthorTopic: Calling All Critics!  (Read 5358 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Calling All Critics!

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 10:30:24 pm
your 3-greys essay present a good idea of volume, but imho "blurring in" was a bad idea. Rather than having sharp light/med/shadow transition, what you get is an all-fluffy-smoothy look that make the final picture look like a stuffed animal made in an undeterminable material, not a furry creature in a metal armor.

For one thing, fur and metal would not reflect light in the same way, so while you'd 'smooth" the greys on the arms and face (with e.g. 2 intermediate shades of grey), you'd keep just those 3 for the armor, to insist on its shininess. And you could stick on 3 shades for the pants, but add ripples with horizontal shadows.

Rather than having a computer do the job of mixing your original colours and your new grey "3D model" (to call it so), i'd suggest you select yourself the three shades of blue and brown you're going to use, and colorize your greys. I would not re-introduce outlines too fast, too. Wait to see what it looks like, and probably just use the darkest shades to do the outline (i mean *out*lines, not between-lines, except if you still think you're missing something).

HTH.