AuthorTopic: Resonance  (Read 17547 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Resonance

Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 08:50:38 pm
Awesome! Much better!

Sorry to put it through the same test again.

Honestly I would change the idle sprite this time as well as the walking one. Earlier in this thread Helm pointed out he would change the leg to torso ratio, and I wholeheartedly agree. The proportion you have in the walking sprite looks much better, but I think the walking is getting a little too big. I'd compromise between the two.

Here's how I'd change the idle around. Among upping the contrast, I changed the proportions and pose of the legs, as you can see in the little line figure to the right, I curved his spine, and gave definition to his face. You had lots of dark undefined areas. I don't think negative space works on characters that move about the map. I think they work best as positive space, so there's no confusing any of the background for the character. You were AAing some 45 degree angles which just blurred it up. Also, I took out the pocket because I don't think little details like that are necessary when there are plenty more characteristic features you could emphasize.

Absolutely love the character, just make him more solid! Be bold with colors and shading, don't mess around with any soft transitions, it's not doing the art any favors. I'm sure you'll do a good job, you just need to push yourself a bit more because from what I've heard you say you're not really fully confident in doing the art by yourself.

Don't believe in yourself! Believe in me, who believes in you!

._.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 01:39:58 am
Thanks Atlus again, for your encouraging words and the edit! I BELIEVE. :D

I'll see about using more solid shading and redoing the idle pose later. If I make some super fancy changes to the idle, I'll probably reflect them in the walk. Otherwise, I might just make it mirror the proportions in the walk.

In reality, I sort of wanna be finished this game in my lifetime >_<. I can live with a few flaws, even though it may mean it's less aesthetically pleasing than it could be.

I mean, I still have tons more actions to do for this character, plus tile art in a bunch of different settings, a variety of enemies, and special effects like explosions and pew pew lasers.

It's pretty brutal how much resources I need, really. But then again, I imagine the next animations will go nicer now that I've got it going, and really, tiles aren't TOO bad, just annoying to piece bigger scenes together sometimes (especially since I want a big urban area with parallax scrolling).

For now altered the pallete a bit. More contrast things. I kind of don't want super duper saturated shades, but I did bring it up quite a bit on the highlights and shadows, and made the thing have more hue varations. Might be hard to compare with this grey background at 1x, but it's definitely noticable when I view it with Paint Shop Pro 4 (or if you zoom in more).

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 01:48:54 am
make the limbs a bit less jumpy and remove, or at least lessen the scarf movement a bit and it looks like it should be good

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 07:14:00 am
nice, but I think His walk is too slow to make his scarf wave like that, it should just dangle a bit.

LODYblokady

Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:08 am

If you have a really windy scene then that would go perfectly, as the character has to make more movement in his limbs to push through the wind.
But for a scene with no wind, you need to but about scarf and limb movements, like everyone said.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 09:10:34 am
The feet spend too much time in their extreme positions and not enough time in the middle space between the steps. The effect is that of gliding with a slightly uneasy pendulum illusion where left and right leg become the same. Sorry to say this means the animation needs fundamental reworking in my opinion.