AuthorTopic: NEED HELP ON FIRST GAME PROJECT!  (Read 2372 times)

Offline nadrian

• View Profile

NEED HELP ON FIRST GAME PROJECT!

on: August 02, 2008, 10:57:10 am
this is my first thread and was wondering what i should use to make my first game so far ive looked at game maker 7 pecause its free and looks good
i wanted to ask a few questains
1.can i make my own tiles is in?
2can i make animations for efx and charcter and sprite actions
3.is it easy to use
i have done a bit of pixel art here 1 of my projects

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:57:49 am by Panda »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: NEED HELP ON FIRST GAME PROJECT!

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:16:26 pm
For pixel art, you must NEVER save as JPEG. In addition to that, your builgin is 'flat'. There should be differencies in brightness on the various sides, and you shouldn't copy elements. Even though 2 windows have the same size and shape, reflections, and what you may see through it, as well as light angle, will differ.

As far as game maker goes, it needs some effort to get through it's basic workflow, though within a week or so you can start making your own game IF you have the ability to think out the systems required. I don't know what you're planning, but for example good pathfinding doesn't exist in gamemaker, nor any other software I know of. You'll always have to think it out and program it yourself, all gamemaker does for you, is ease the latter. Not the first. So you need general ability of logical thinking, or you end up asking everything on forums. But even if you do so, it may turn out an ok game, so then all that matters, and also all that is relevant on these boards, is the art you will create. Not the game. Though just to awnser your first and second questions: yes and yes. That's the simple part.

Welcome to pixelation, and good luck.

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Re: NEED HELP ON FIRST GAME PROJECT!

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 02:19:57 pm
Game maker is all the questions you have ask yes you can do animations and much more!

thanks for asking!