AuthorTopic: Samurai Subpixels  (Read 16128 times)

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Re: Samurai Subpixels

Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 11:06:23 pm

heres a rough non subpixeld / morphed whatever you want to call it version...

feron likes it much more... i still like the old version personaly but what do you guys think... also i have added some other colours too see what it looks like.....

make proper keyframes if you want a wacky feel than subpixel-aa everything to shit.
best quote so far...

but yeah i agree with ptoing.... i shall have to work on keyframes and as for the blinking i have slowly been trying to cut down on all of that stuff near the start thats still on going... but first any sugestions people on keyframe stuff... i cant think i what i would need to change about the two i currently have.

as i was writeing this 2 new replys.
"it seems a bit scrapy" - good check the homestar link...

"you cant just move little bit and roughly AA it and call it subpixel - as far as im aware subpixel refers to the fact you are editing below a pixel level... as far as im aware thats what im trying to convey moveing pixels down or up or sideways between just two pixels... i am aware it doesnt look exactly like it all over yet but hey what are WIP threads for... but if it makes you happy... i no longer call it subpixel and i now call it pixelmorph look at that i "made up" a new pixel technique /end sarcasm...

"you must take consideration colour values saturation and most of all what pixel you are putting where and why" - i agree and thats what i have tried to do, should you study each frame you will notice i have kept too the colours used in the keyframes without adding more.... while trying to chose the most apropriate colours i had avalible.... to attempt to pixelmorph it down.. and that would be why i put it there.....

i am trying to convey care for the process.... obviously what i have tried hasnt worked.... so lets get back to what i posted above and help me make it better... but i would prefer not having too add in any extra colours....

sooo back too the image i posted... thoughts is it better without pixelmorphing.... or is it better with but ineed to fix keyframes... how should i fix them what do you think is wrong..

damn it more replys.. but it turns out it is now subpixel again not pixelmorphing... althout it has a ring to it.... back on topic maybe please thank you? ish?
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 02:24:18 am
why does his whole torso expand when he is breathing?  his chest should get bigger and move upwards slightly.... air shouldn't be going into his stomach :p

unless of course he is a balloon samurai...

Depends on the force you exert when you breathing, I can certainly make my stomach expand while im breathing. But if your going for something more natural then yeah, I gues not so much movement :X

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 05:38:22 am
Subpixelling transition
2nd A = subpixelled for lcd displays

THAT is all there is not subpixelling really, how clever you apply it does not change what it is. Wether what artisan did works is up for debate, just saying you should try to mystify things less and make them appear more complex or deep than they are.
I understand the difference between the actually technological method of tapping on LCD screen's functioning to cram in more resolution, and what we call subpixel animation.

I find it extremely weird that you bring an artistic phenomenom to this sort of laboratory simplicity of unitary purpose and interpretation, then try to make me abide by this over simplified model of thinking of yours.

If we are going to talk about a black square scrolling across a white background then obviously you just blur it's way trough, and your model of thinking applies to that scenario.

There's just 2 problems with that
1- I cannot imagine any artist taking any interest in such a drab boring subject.
2- that doesnt even warrant the term sub-pixel animation at all, that is just Anitaliasing in animation.

I insist on this because I think if we're gonna use a technically incorrect term for this Antialiasing animation, I think we might as well do it with purpose. Therefore I proceed to explain as clearly as I can what process I asociate with that and how I find this "subpixel" terminology justifiable.

Once again because I have continuously found that when you animate with this technique (OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT) you have to keep in your mind a model of the picture of greater detail than what the actual pixels depict, and the conjunction of both time and AA creates a sense of detail greater than what the actual pixels show.

if I over-mistify what I'm trying to convey I chalk it up to the fact that I'm trying to explain something that is not in the meats-n-potatoes realm of objective reality.

Frankly I find it quite annoying that upon finding difficulty in seeing the purpose of my manner of expression, instead of trying to feed from what I'm doing and perhaps help me better simplify what I'm getting to, you act based on your presumptions that the weird-talk is rubbish unrelated to reality, then act only with that in mind and insist on me shutting up and instead speak and think the same way you do.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 06:01:33 am
Anti-aliasing, over-sampling, and sub-pixel operations are terminologically equivalent.  This is a stupid thing to rant about.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 09:41:29 am
I am no animation wizard but as far as I can tell subpixel animation is about conveying very subtle movement by using buffer shades instead of binary THIS BLACK PIXEL GOES FROM HERE TO HERE movements. In that respect artisan's subpixel animation is indeed a subpixel animation. I find more faults with the actual design of the character than with the animation.

Once again because I have continuously found that when you animate with this technique (OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT) you have to keep in your mind a model of the picture of greater detail than what the actual pixels depict, and the conjunction of both time and AA creates a sense of detail greater than what the actual pixels show.

To be fair that's the case with all pixel art, not just animation. You're always trying to filter a higher-def character in smaller pixel space.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #35 on: August 05, 2008, 11:36:06 am
Eh, Conceit, I did not intent to attack you, no need to get defensive. What I said is that subpixel aa is nothing but faking higher resolution between the pixels than you have, using antialiasing. The black block moving is just a very basic example of this and of course not the be all and end all to it. It still is what subpixel aa is. (Also Adam is right with what he said.) All this stuff is simply to make things look smoother.
How well and clever you apply this knowledge is a totally different thing.

And if you feel the need to mystify stuff like this than it is not because of it's oh so complex nature, but because you feel you have to put more meaning into it than it has. Sorry, but NO medium of art, be it oils, stone, wood, whatever or pixels does not have any need of being mystified for the sake of it. The mystery of art should be in the content and not in the tools.

This will be the last thing from me to this subject here, because again, I agree with Adam here.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #36 on: August 05, 2008, 07:34:23 pm
the problem with the breathing is not where the chest is expanding as much as it is the bounce of the character.  Naturally - when you breath in, your body would want to get taller (the upstroke of the bounce anim) to accommodate for the extra volume in the chest.  Right now, you have him squishing upon inhaling.  This is what's screwing your anim.

As for the subpixel debate.  This is indeed subpixeling.  Not the best applied sub-pixeling, but it is.  I've been saying this for a while now.  Subpixeling is no more than AA, and AA is no more than taking the average color of a cell.