AuthorTopic: Samurai Subpixels  (Read 16125 times)

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Samurai Subpixels

on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:41 pm
trying my hand at subpixel animation this is my first try at it... and its a horribly long process :D

the image itself is a remake of something i started but never finished ages ago you can see the old wip here http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6007/samoldcs5.gif
but to be honest you dont want too...

neways coms and crits? i plan to make it a mock up.
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline dragonboy

• View Profile

Re: Samurai Subpixels

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 01:58:12 am
that looks cool, how does sub-pixel animation work?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:25:34 am
All those crazy red lines are not working for me at all, just looks like artifacts/mistakes

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 10:44:37 am
http://www.gsarchives.net/index2.php?category=all&system=snes&game=super_metroid&type=sprites&level0=animated
An example of a decent subpixel animation. Used on Samus to suggest light breathing while idle.

You're not really doing the sub pixelling correctly. The bottom of the eyes grow two pixels at one point and there really isn't sub pixel on the top of the eyes which move up and down harshly compared with other parts of hte animation. Overall, this is just really distracting, but not in a good way. It comes across as blurry and the ideal of pixel precise placement is getting lost.

And if this is going to be a sprite over a non static background, then it's a really bad idea to subpixel the outside of the sprite.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 12:44:43 am
improved?

no more red after studying more into the topic...

i think its possible to make look better however not without adding extra colours to give a true representation of where the pixels should be and so i am trying to make do with the colours i have.

any thoughts on the tiles atm... they are very early but any sugestions on them are good... i want the wooden archway to stay somewhat the same as i want the background and tiles to be very simple style while keeping the sprites looking almost wacky and animated.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 01:42:08 am
the point of subpixel is essentially not to be noticed.  i mean, it's more complicated than that, but you're trying to smooth between 2 already very close frames.  this means:

little/no difference in value

little/no difference in hue

little/no difference in saturation

when i take my glasses off (normal people: cross your eyes) i still get MAJOR color changes when looking at your sprite.  he should remain effectively the same, only slightly moving.  subpixel is an art of subtlties.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 08:58:08 pm
no more red

There are still a ton of red artifacts!

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 04:29:42 am
hrm....the thing about Subpixel...when done right it's not like you're averaging two pixels and putting a buffer shade in the next frame...am I getting trough?

You should have an image in your head a bit more detailed than your current resolution in order to do subpixel, otherwise its wasteful

You know how they say how subtext is the lines between the lines? I guess that applies to subpixel too, if there's no detail in there OTHER than what you're already showing with the pixels you have...the subpixels seem kinda pointless.

that shows in the way he moves, too...he just bobs up and down..there's nothing to the movement of the animation...I'm not saying it's not carefully done because it is...but you know, it seems like it lacks a point in the movement...subpixeling is after all deforming the character, and if he just sort of morphs one pixel up, one pixel down....it strikes you as weird....

so..eh whatever. That's my 2 cents

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 09:06:32 am

im still trying to make this better, there is even less red bits now and i think i smoothed it up some more.... is it improveing or is it not?

@ Conceit: what i want to show is the character slightly bending his knees and breathing, hence the chest moves in and out and he bobs up and down.

The problem is there is little difference between the two main frames ie the difference is 1 pixel or 2 max on like the arms for instance, as you can see this isnt very smooth...

and so that is the reason i want to use subpixel animation, it seems to make my character much more "organic" and alive and the animation much more smooth and almost wacky.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 09:38:20 am by artisan »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 11:35:47 am
now it makes much more sense. i'd say the problem with your helmet is relative move of the different parts. E.g. the "V" and the thing on the left of the helmet seem to have their own movement, regardless of the head/helmet. maybe working on a less detailed helmet first, and then bringing in animation of the details could help.

Good work on the saber and the vest, but you could perfect that "spot" he's got on his belly, which is still just moving straight atm.