AuthorTopic: [WIP] Need opinions on running animations  (Read 26022 times)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Need opinions on running animations

Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 08:34:53 pm
You're an animating machine, I'll give you that.

1 and 3 look like hes stroking something.

Make the sword thinner, like you had in the standing animation. Hes carrying a huge banana that doesn't fit the style.

The hand should move the sword, the sword should not move the hand. If you are ready to strike with a sword you want to keep that sword steady and in your control. The seesaw motion of the blade gives the impression hes handling it carelessly.

The blade should be up. You have the blade down. Take a look at some pics / videos of katanas and how they are worn. They always have the blade facing up.

Keep up the good work.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 08:55:43 pm
I know it's a tad offtopic but.. these noisy distortions on for example the sword and back arm, are they the result of quick selection movements, or 2D bone using animating software? (When turning sprites via code without interpolation you get this effect too)

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 11:10:17 pm
The noise is a result of using the select tool and then rotating in gale.  Im not sure what 2d bone using animating software is.  Like Pivot?  EvilEye, I'm going to make teh sword thinner for final polish.  I know samurai and kempo guys wear their swords blade up but they draw  and go into the kempo L stance with the blade held high or back before they strike or whatever.  This guy is going to strike directly from the scabbard cowboy style so I figured it made more sense to position it blade down.  That stuff is easily changeable though if it appears awkward.  So, I think I may go with #2.  I'll try some new poses later however.  Thanks so far!

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 06:33:06 am
try lessening the frames where the knees shoot upward.  it would seem much more suitable for a ninja to run that way.  i wish i could show you an example, but i don't have the tools.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 09:39:40 am
Gnarf.  I also have a 6 frame animation of this that will be the standard sprite in the game.  This 12 frame anim is for slomo scenes but encompasses the 6 frame version.  In the six frame anim the movement you suggest is a little more apparent in that his legs increase in speed from both extensions to the opposite extension.  If I misunderstand, let me know what you mean.  (hint: edit)wink wink nudge nudge.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 08:52:08 pm
ah, nevermind, sorry.  i just noticed from actually reading the thread

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 10:44:06 am
Here's a small update:  I added some detail on the upper body.  Not ready to add the bandana or polish the sword but its coming along.  I still have to shade around the head, fill in that notch in his back, and polish the light on his shoulders but any crits?  I'm pretty happy with the way the upper body is turning out so you guys should tell me what crap it is before I get carried away.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 11:39:47 am
I know you want the hand to be in front but right now it is not reading well.  Perhaps it is the cause of the black on black.  Maybe if you added highlights on that arm or maybe some white bandages or anything to bring out what the arm is doing.  I'm sure you'll prove me wrong because damn, you are good.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 11:52:35 am
which hand?  his right/sword or left/blocking hand?  I meant to ask what folks think of the blocking hand?  Does it draw your eye too much?  Should I cut down on the slight rotation of it?  It doesn't seem 'quite' right to me. And if you are refferring to the sword hand then yes, I do need to play with it when I polish off the sword.  I'll try to address it, and big ups for the compliment mike!  Also, Head bob yes or no?  I'm leaning towards no

and I forgot to mention in my own list of things to do was to clean up the scarf thing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:20:27 pm by McStinkus »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 11:56:44 am
I believe it is his blocking hand.  The hand that is creating the least amount of silhouette, which is why it looks a bit hard to read.  I suggest you make it look good first in silhouette that way it will always look good regardless.  You probably won't even have to change the idea of the hand in front(blocking hand) just make it so you can tell that it is a hand attached to an arm.