AuthorTopic: [WIP] Need opinions on running animations  (Read 25692 times)

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Need opinions on running animations

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 07:32:50 am
Here's a step towards filling it out some. 

At this stage I'd love some c+c on the legs especially but where to go with the whole motion of the body.  I decided to go with a high frame animation because I can always take the frames out later and use the high frame count strictly for slo mo scenes.  which I believe is the plan. anyone who wants to offer any advice will be greatly appreciated. Looking at it now, I can see problems with the feet size changing and how maybe his right leg should kick out a little more before contact.  Also, maybe his other leg is too short at recoil?  I've been looking at this jerk for so long I need you guys to tell me what I'm missing or would help.  Thanks!

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 05:51:19 am
The lower half looks great, trouble is the top.

He looks like hes pushing a baby stroller, ready to do a very cliche karate chop.

I recommend he have his hands in the ready position to either draw a weapon, or attack with a weapon.

This is a piss poor edit but I hope it gives you some idea of what I mean:

*EDIT* Re-reading your post about the leg timing:

Watching it at a slower speed shows the left foot ( his left ) snaps straight down to the ground on frame 3. The thigh also seems shorter then it should be when it lifts up, which gives it the impression he is spreading his legs, an odd way to run for sure.

On frame 9, the right foot ( his right ) has the same problem where it snaps straight to the ground.

Overall the legs suffer from some unevenness in their animation. I recommend you slow the animation down and watch it since the flaws are easier to see that way.

This has some killer potential for sure, it already looks great, once you fix the flaws it should look AwEsOmE  :y:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:28:58 am by EvilEye »

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 09:51:22 am
Evileye- thank you.  I was up most the night so I worked on the legs, unfortunetely before I got your reply.  I had lengthened the thighs a little bit, but his bowlegged ass still looks like he's been riding a horse for ten hours before he went for this little jog.  It's a little better.  I also fixed the snap somewhat.   

The upper body I haven't addressed yet.  I like your pose, but so did the guys at capcom when they designed strider 2 (which is one of the many influences/refs I used for this along with ninja gaiden, shinobi, ninja scroll, yuma, etc. [but no naruto]).  He'll have his sword on his left (far) side, so I wanted to put his right hand across to the hilt or something but I can't think of a pose I really like.  This is also one of two running states he'll have.  There will also be a dash where he's full out booking it with one arm back one arm straight out so I don't want to undermine the speed of the second run by putting an arm back for this one.  Regardless I appreciate your coming back to critique me.  For now however, its sleepytime.  I will check back later today to see there is any more helpful advice here and then do some more work on him.
I just noticed I forgot to put the layer of his arm back over his leg so it looks even more like he's bowlegged.  which is funny.
and to shoot myself some props, I'm quite happy with the way his pants lag for a second when he brings his leg forward.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:01:33 am by McStinkus »

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 09:11:41 am
Update with a few poses I came up with.  Not entirely ecstatic with either of them but they are cool enough.  Anyone have any opinion either way?  advice? CC? ideas? edits?  anything welcome.  This one is mostly from scratch and unfinished.  I mostly like it.  It does need a lot of polish however if i choose it.

And this one is simply his torso from his standing animation torso pasted onto his legs and bounced around some

which looks cool but I sort hoped not to reuse sprites too much.  I mean with a ninja type guy there is so much potential for cool, unique, dynamic poses, that i want to have fun with this and do all sorts of stuff. for some reason i'm having a heck of a time with this.  help!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:42:32 pm by McStinkus »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 12:58:26 pm
Both could work. I would go with #2. The first one seems too uncomfortable.

You might also take the left hand on the first one and lower it to the sheath of the sword, kind of like a blend between the first and second one.

Offline LordFred

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 06:42:03 pm
I like second... and you can easily change animations if you put these on a game... because the top of the character is the same as stand. If the character goes from "stand" to "run" you can do it "easy"... hehe... where easy means less paint work...

Great work...

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 06:58:30 pm
Lord Fred- As much as I DO appreciate your opinion, I'm not so interested in whether its easy or not, so thats not my deciding factor.  the fact that you guys appreciate the aesthetic appeal of #2 is important to me.  Before I go with it however, I'm going to try evil eye's suggestion and tweak the first one.  I think the idea of his arm blocking his face is cool but I couldn't get it to look flowy.  I also think it will look weird if he's in the same position standing as he is running. Will have something more for you soon.  Thanks.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 07:07:08 pm
McStinkus I'd go with the first one because when you have smooth animation on one part of a sprite, it's best to have smooth animation on most parts of the sprite, if you get my meaning.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 08:02:18 pm
i would go with the first one, i think it shows at the moment much more power in the character than the seccond, with some tweaking here and there it should be nice.
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 02:52:17 am
Hey, would it make more sense if his body was pivotting in the opposite direction?  It seems like maybe his arm should be down while his leg is tucked as opposed to when it is extended.  trying to act it out here but it seems goofy (and im sure it is, hopefully some neighbors are watching).  I'll keep playing with it.  whats the name of the animation book everyone reccomends?  I ought to get a copy.
helm, the new avatar is spot-on. 
Editting in a few things I came up with.

Im having fun making these and learning a ton.  I should just have my brother the programmer make it random when you start running which animation you go into and make like 5 so the player doesn't always have to look at the same anims. Or cycle from 1 to 3 to 2 after a bit. but then I have to do transitions for all of them.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:05:38 am by McStinkus »