AuthorTopic: [WIP] Need opinions on running animations  (Read 25691 times)

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

[WIP] Need opinions on running animations

on: August 01, 2008, 09:15:41 am
Here are three run animations I came up with for a vg character.  These were all created using the select and rotate tool in Gale so they are still quite ugly. Before I gussy them up, I have to decide which is best.  Note that toes don't touch or anything yet and bodies don't swivel yet either.  So torque aside, which of these do you folks prefer simply in terms of leg movements  Any feedback will be great. 

sorry about the weird stuff in the thrid one.  Thats an unused hand I may insert later but forgot to remove it for here.
In gale I run the delay set at 3/100ths or equivalent to get the speed I want.  IE and firefox have weird display problems with this.
And if you feel like CCing something near finished here's his standing pose:

again please excuse the unfinished nature of the above.
I think I like the second one the most, played fast it looks most dynamic and ninja-ey.
Thanks all.

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Need opinions on running animations

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:33:32 am
the standing looks great to me! :D and reminds me of spiderman from marvel vs capcom... if it's been of inspiration to you, you got a great result. i imagine here on pixelation there are other discussions about this, but why such a huge number of frames? i mean, lots of smooth frames are always good, but doesn't your effort turn out quite useless with a higher speed?
you may have some reasons i haven't thought about, otherwise i'd suggest to plan each frame instead of wasting it, and to interpret the movement instead of emulating the the speed real life goes. in general, draw more frames for the moments of suspension and interval between two opposite motions, and less for motions themselves.
i prefere the first one, because in 2 and 3 the feet going back get too unnaturally up. the 3's feet going forward are a bit nicer to me, but are less ninja...

uh, maybe because of the pose, the katana is enormous to me; but if you like it as it is, i'll do it too. nice character.

Offline $ymbol

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:40:55 am
His run needs a 'bounce,' doesn't it?

I like 2 as well, though His feet Don't look like they touch the ground.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:35:18 pm
well, yep

I think ninjas benefit from floating around like they're dashing for most of the run, and then have a sudden knee-jerk as they touch the ground and gain back their momentum

I believe it's also customary to leave their shoulder area almost static...but the hips should still show some movement.

Offline digitaldust

• shoopus maaaah woopus
    • View Profile
    • LOLFURRIES

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 04:14:42 pm
Conceit: I'm not so sure... If I was gonna run like that i would at least get some slight horizontal movement with the shoulders.
"I am smart! I am smart! S-M-R-T -- I mean S-M-A-R-T!!"

Offline h4x0r

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:04:05 pm
"Note that toes don't touch or anything yet and bodies don't swivel yet either."

Hes mostly saying which leg movement, he hasn't done vertical or horizontal movement or any body movement in general yet, just the leg animation...I like 2 as welll...

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 07:11:24 pm
To respond, Whichever of these I choose to continue forward with (with your help) will have the hips rotate, some torque in the shoulders and a good deal of recoil and bounce both up and forward in the step.  Of course to keep it ninja-ey the upper body should have the appearance of remaining static against the motion of the hips while still moving in a decent fashion.  It is very hard for me to picture what this is going to look like in any detailed sense.  But I'll figure that out when I come to it (or ask for more help).  Chimico: you have touched on my biggest problem understanding animation.  I have trouble interpretting the movement as you call it and making it more dynamic.  I believe I can understand what you mean but I have trouble implementing this idea.  Especially in a cyclic fashion with unrealistic movement in this case.  Things like sword swipes, his back dash, jump and others make a little more sense to me in order to time.  Big sweeps when the motion is fast (with some motion streaks if neccesary) and more frames when slowing or static, right?  I just can't picture whats fast or not here.  would his legs be faster at either end of the spectrum at just before contact or while hes pushing forward of the ground?  I've tried watching ninja scroll, yuma, and I'd like to watch some naruto (but from what I understand on youtube they all run with their hands back and body leaned into the run). I think its something one must practice but I'd love a good edit or some direction.   And I like the katana huge, its sort of a cartoony daikatana.  but if when I animate the slashes its no good for gameplay or too massive i'll shrink it.  Thanks for taking your time to help me out

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 07:16:58 pm
first anim, the feet travel more in an oval shape.. i think that makes more sense for a ninja who is kinda floaty/quick..
the others in comparison have a kinda motion when they come forward which gives an impression that they are dragging even though they arent.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 06:02:54 am
I gave it another shot:  lower frame count more motion in between frames.  I tried to time it so that the speed of the leg increased from the furthest extention down to contact paused at the end of the step and then increased in speed again until the loop started over.  its subtle but it makes a difference I think. 

and here's one with twice the frame rate, half the delay, but I don't think I like it as much

again browsers are slowing this down, but in theory they are running at the same speed
the posture is sort of generic but, i guess thats what I was going for. CC? Edits?
Also, I apologize if I should have editted this into my original post.  If so, please let me know and I'll do that in the future.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:40:02 am by McStinkus »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 06:39:06 am
 You might want to check out Shinobi 3. Especially stage 2. The enemies have a ninja-run stance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01EKvse4KSU&feature=related

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 07:32:50 am
Here's a step towards filling it out some. 

At this stage I'd love some c+c on the legs especially but where to go with the whole motion of the body.  I decided to go with a high frame animation because I can always take the frames out later and use the high frame count strictly for slo mo scenes.  which I believe is the plan. anyone who wants to offer any advice will be greatly appreciated. Looking at it now, I can see problems with the feet size changing and how maybe his right leg should kick out a little more before contact.  Also, maybe his other leg is too short at recoil?  I've been looking at this jerk for so long I need you guys to tell me what I'm missing or would help.  Thanks!

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 05:51:19 am
The lower half looks great, trouble is the top.

He looks like hes pushing a baby stroller, ready to do a very cliche karate chop.

I recommend he have his hands in the ready position to either draw a weapon, or attack with a weapon.

This is a piss poor edit but I hope it gives you some idea of what I mean:

*EDIT* Re-reading your post about the leg timing:

Watching it at a slower speed shows the left foot ( his left ) snaps straight down to the ground on frame 3. The thigh also seems shorter then it should be when it lifts up, which gives it the impression he is spreading his legs, an odd way to run for sure.

On frame 9, the right foot ( his right ) has the same problem where it snaps straight to the ground.

Overall the legs suffer from some unevenness in their animation. I recommend you slow the animation down and watch it since the flaws are easier to see that way.

This has some killer potential for sure, it already looks great, once you fix the flaws it should look AwEsOmE  :y:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:28:58 am by EvilEye »

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 09:51:22 am
Evileye- thank you.  I was up most the night so I worked on the legs, unfortunetely before I got your reply.  I had lengthened the thighs a little bit, but his bowlegged ass still looks like he's been riding a horse for ten hours before he went for this little jog.  It's a little better.  I also fixed the snap somewhat.   

The upper body I haven't addressed yet.  I like your pose, but so did the guys at capcom when they designed strider 2 (which is one of the many influences/refs I used for this along with ninja gaiden, shinobi, ninja scroll, yuma, etc. [but no naruto]).  He'll have his sword on his left (far) side, so I wanted to put his right hand across to the hilt or something but I can't think of a pose I really like.  This is also one of two running states he'll have.  There will also be a dash where he's full out booking it with one arm back one arm straight out so I don't want to undermine the speed of the second run by putting an arm back for this one.  Regardless I appreciate your coming back to critique me.  For now however, its sleepytime.  I will check back later today to see there is any more helpful advice here and then do some more work on him.
I just noticed I forgot to put the layer of his arm back over his leg so it looks even more like he's bowlegged.  which is funny.
and to shoot myself some props, I'm quite happy with the way his pants lag for a second when he brings his leg forward.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:01:33 am by McStinkus »

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 09:11:41 am
Update with a few poses I came up with.  Not entirely ecstatic with either of them but they are cool enough.  Anyone have any opinion either way?  advice? CC? ideas? edits?  anything welcome.  This one is mostly from scratch and unfinished.  I mostly like it.  It does need a lot of polish however if i choose it.

And this one is simply his torso from his standing animation torso pasted onto his legs and bounced around some

which looks cool but I sort hoped not to reuse sprites too much.  I mean with a ninja type guy there is so much potential for cool, unique, dynamic poses, that i want to have fun with this and do all sorts of stuff. for some reason i'm having a heck of a time with this.  help!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:42:32 pm by McStinkus »

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 12:58:26 pm
Both could work. I would go with #2. The first one seems too uncomfortable.

You might also take the left hand on the first one and lower it to the sheath of the sword, kind of like a blend between the first and second one.

Offline LordFred

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 06:42:03 pm
I like second... and you can easily change animations if you put these on a game... because the top of the character is the same as stand. If the character goes from "stand" to "run" you can do it "easy"... hehe... where easy means less paint work...

Great work...

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 06:58:30 pm
Lord Fred- As much as I DO appreciate your opinion, I'm not so interested in whether its easy or not, so thats not my deciding factor.  the fact that you guys appreciate the aesthetic appeal of #2 is important to me.  Before I go with it however, I'm going to try evil eye's suggestion and tweak the first one.  I think the idea of his arm blocking his face is cool but I couldn't get it to look flowy.  I also think it will look weird if he's in the same position standing as he is running. Will have something more for you soon.  Thanks.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 07:07:08 pm
McStinkus I'd go with the first one because when you have smooth animation on one part of a sprite, it's best to have smooth animation on most parts of the sprite, if you get my meaning.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 08:02:18 pm
i would go with the first one, i think it shows at the moment much more power in the character than the seccond, with some tweaking here and there it should be nice.
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 02:52:17 am
Hey, would it make more sense if his body was pivotting in the opposite direction?  It seems like maybe his arm should be down while his leg is tucked as opposed to when it is extended.  trying to act it out here but it seems goofy (and im sure it is, hopefully some neighbors are watching).  I'll keep playing with it.  whats the name of the animation book everyone reccomends?  I ought to get a copy.
helm, the new avatar is spot-on. 
Editting in a few things I came up with.

Im having fun making these and learning a ton.  I should just have my brother the programmer make it random when you start running which animation you go into and make like 5 so the player doesn't always have to look at the same anims. Or cycle from 1 to 3 to 2 after a bit. but then I have to do transitions for all of them.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:05:38 am by McStinkus »

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 08:34:53 pm
You're an animating machine, I'll give you that.

1 and 3 look like hes stroking something.

Make the sword thinner, like you had in the standing animation. Hes carrying a huge banana that doesn't fit the style.

The hand should move the sword, the sword should not move the hand. If you are ready to strike with a sword you want to keep that sword steady and in your control. The seesaw motion of the blade gives the impression hes handling it carelessly.

The blade should be up. You have the blade down. Take a look at some pics / videos of katanas and how they are worn. They always have the blade facing up.

Keep up the good work.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 08:55:43 pm
I know it's a tad offtopic but.. these noisy distortions on for example the sword and back arm, are they the result of quick selection movements, or 2D bone using animating software? (When turning sprites via code without interpolation you get this effect too)

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 11:10:17 pm
The noise is a result of using the select tool and then rotating in gale.  Im not sure what 2d bone using animating software is.  Like Pivot?  EvilEye, I'm going to make teh sword thinner for final polish.  I know samurai and kempo guys wear their swords blade up but they draw  and go into the kempo L stance with the blade held high or back before they strike or whatever.  This guy is going to strike directly from the scabbard cowboy style so I figured it made more sense to position it blade down.  That stuff is easily changeable though if it appears awkward.  So, I think I may go with #2.  I'll try some new poses later however.  Thanks so far!

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 06:33:06 am
try lessening the frames where the knees shoot upward.  it would seem much more suitable for a ninja to run that way.  i wish i could show you an example, but i don't have the tools.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 09:39:40 am
Gnarf.  I also have a 6 frame animation of this that will be the standard sprite in the game.  This 12 frame anim is for slomo scenes but encompasses the 6 frame version.  In the six frame anim the movement you suggest is a little more apparent in that his legs increase in speed from both extensions to the opposite extension.  If I misunderstand, let me know what you mean.  (hint: edit)wink wink nudge nudge.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 08:52:08 pm
ah, nevermind, sorry.  i just noticed from actually reading the thread

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 10:44:06 am
Here's a small update:  I added some detail on the upper body.  Not ready to add the bandana or polish the sword but its coming along.  I still have to shade around the head, fill in that notch in his back, and polish the light on his shoulders but any crits?  I'm pretty happy with the way the upper body is turning out so you guys should tell me what crap it is before I get carried away.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 11:39:47 am
I know you want the hand to be in front but right now it is not reading well.  Perhaps it is the cause of the black on black.  Maybe if you added highlights on that arm or maybe some white bandages or anything to bring out what the arm is doing.  I'm sure you'll prove me wrong because damn, you are good.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 11:52:35 am
which hand?  his right/sword or left/blocking hand?  I meant to ask what folks think of the blocking hand?  Does it draw your eye too much?  Should I cut down on the slight rotation of it?  It doesn't seem 'quite' right to me. And if you are refferring to the sword hand then yes, I do need to play with it when I polish off the sword.  I'll try to address it, and big ups for the compliment mike!  Also, Head bob yes or no?  I'm leaning towards no

and I forgot to mention in my own list of things to do was to clean up the scarf thing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:20:27 pm by McStinkus »

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 11:56:44 am
I believe it is his blocking hand.  The hand that is creating the least amount of silhouette, which is why it looks a bit hard to read.  I suggest you make it look good first in silhouette that way it will always look good regardless.  You probably won't even have to change the idea of the hand in front(blocking hand) just make it so you can tell that it is a hand attached to an arm.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 12:24:49 pm
Ok, will work on the elbow in front of face hand!  Thanks! Also, There will be a transitional animation when he starts to run that will show him put it in front of his face.  Then it will jump to this loop and 'maybe' alternate between this and another running animation.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 06:21:30 am
For the life of me, I can't make a better hand.  At this point, Unless someone can come up with one that reads better, I'm willing to assume that the transitional animation showing him start running and putting the arm in front of his face illuminates the fact that indeed it is his arm.  any takers on some edits?  Here are some updates:

The only difference is the left has a different hand and the glare on the scabbard moves some (unnoticeable), and the fellow on the right goes up and down 2 pixels per step.  Which hand and which movement do you all prefer?  Still on my list to do is do some subpixel (well, to get it right) on the dude's head so it seems like its part of the image and moving and to draw the scarf/bandana.   ignore the single pixel on the left guy.  and ignore the fact that they are running at different speeds.  Can anyone see anything else that is crucial?

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 09:27:26 am
i didn't realize you were going to have a transition animation when I made my comment so now that I know I think what you have will work.  I'll try and make an edit anyway.  Furthermore the 2nd one is better because of the bounce.

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 12:58:02 pm
I want you to go outside and try to run like that.

No, really, I dare you. Don't forget to hold a stick in your right hand.

Over-exaggeration is one thing, but this pose is awkward. A ninja would not be awkward. Turn his left hand over. Turn the blade up. Turn his right hand over.

And I don't think the bounce on the right one is better, the left one looks more stable for drawing a weapon.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 04:44:29 pm
Interesting, I don't find this all that uncomfortable.  I can't lean as for forward and be as on my toes as this guy when I run, obviously, but everything else is kosher to me.  Thats how I came up with those poses.  I do agree with turning the sword hand over but every attempt I've made has been unreadable.  I think his left hand palm-in is very uncomfortable and palm out is ok. 

This isn't outside running around but it illuminates what I'm saying.  His scabbard is slung through his haramaki (which you will see at points) so hes not carrying the whole thing from the tip like that.   I'll try and flip the sword hand.  Also, Evil, do you think maybe the forearm is too long?  I just noticed and did a quick mockup of it on one frame and it looks better I think 2-3 pixels shorter.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 05:30:15 pm by McStinkus »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 08:19:56 pm
the animation gives the impression that his hand is resting on his shoulder.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 08:46:50 pm
 I don't see how you could lean forward like that unless you were running pretty quickly, in which case shouldn't he be taking longer strides..?
it might be a one shot deal

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 08:48:22 pm
Here's one with the hand shorter, sword hand not done:

Mr. Mister: He is moving pretty fast.  The image speed is just low on browsers.  I think its sort of a video game / anime tradition that ninjas run sort of like this.
Xion: crap, does it really look like that?  even with the shadow of the hand on the arm and all?  any chance of an edit to make it look more like the photo?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:15:49 pm by McStinkus »

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 01:00:29 am

The pose in that picture is what I was recommending.

Your ninja's hands look like this to me:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 06:34:34 am by EvilEye »

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 03:21:52 pm
nice sketch evil.  if my arms looked half that good i would be satisfied.  hows this? 

I didn't animate it yet obviously.  Its sort of in between the old pose and what we are talking about.  ignore the shoulder area, i haven't paid it heed yet. 

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 06:37:27 pm
I think the fingers spread apart like that may be a little ambitious for that scale :blind:

But if you can pull it off go for it.

Here is my attempt to clarify the hand positions:

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: August 15, 2008, 04:58:37 pm
Evileye that pose is exactly what I was talking about.  It's still pretty much the same but now it reads way better.

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 09:23:46 am
I finished one of the poses! At least, I think so.  I've decided I'm going to have 3 running anims and rotate through them at random.  The next will be based on your pose, Evil, for sure. I'm just working out some kinks.  I just threw it up over at pj, and I'll post my next WIP with your pose in a day or so.   

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 04:43:06 pm
Well if you do actually go with the fingers spread like that, then if you could move them around slightly it would greatly add to the animation.

Offline SCiDT

• Experimentalist
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: August 18, 2008, 02:57:28 am
Head movement like a couple of posts back would be great. Great work keep it up!

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: August 18, 2008, 04:43:53 am
What do you mean head movement?  The one where the whole body goes up and down?  I have deliberately not moved his head, so I hope thats what you mean. Evil, I tried messing with the fingers but it looks really forced, and even a one pixel movement here is huge.  I couldn't figure anything that looked good.
Here are the two potentially finished sprites minus any up and down motion. 

This second one is total props to Evil.  I'm glad you made me do it cause it is pretty cool.  I'm willing to call these guys good unless anyone sees anything glaring.  I'm always down for improvement and things can always be better but I'm about 2 weeks behind schedule so if you've got something, say it! 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:07:50 am by McStinkus »

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 02:41:15 am

I like the arm placement in this one, but....

Why are the hands still weirded out?

They still look like this to me:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/chris_6713/hands.gif

My point in making that edit was not the arms but making the hands look like they were in a natural position.

Make the hands so they are clearly like in your naked pic with the broom, then make the sword skinnier and flip it, and I think you will have a damn good ninja run animation.

My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:48:57 am by EvilEye »

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: August 19, 2008, 02:48:45 am
Hey man, loving the animations so far!
The only thing i would advice you to do, is work out the skin colours, (colours in general) the contrast between them is so subtle, that i couldnt tell a thing if it werent for the fact that its animated, and that the black pops it up a notch.

Animation wise, its really nice, but try to up the contrast a bit, and play with it on the animation.

Cheers, keep it up!

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 08:34:31 pm
Hey guys,
  I'm going to Florida for two weeks to do some herping (reptile hunting with a camera) so I shan't even think about this until I return.  I'll try and work out some of teh stuff then.  Krut, I have one more skin tone that I dind't use here but I'll try and work on something with more contrast.  Evil, the sword hand in the one you don't like so much sopposed to be his thumb curling up over the sword.  I meant to change but forgot/didn't  I'll address it.   

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: August 21, 2008, 09:27:23 am
Hey guys,
  I'm going to Florida for two weeks to do some herping (reptile hunting with a camera) so I shan't even think about this until I return.  I'll try and work out some of teh stuff then.  Krut, I have one more skin tone that I dind't use here but I'll try and work on something with more contrast.  Evil, the sword hand in the one you don't like so much sopposed to be his thumb curling up over the sword.  I meant to change but forgot/didn't  I'll address it.   

Itīs not about the ammount of colours, you dont need to add more, but work the contrast between what you have there (the extra one, you could use to smooth it out tho)
Have fun in Florida!

Offline McStinkus

• View Profile

Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 06:33:07 pm
The extra one is a brighter one I selected for higher contrast.  I just didn't use it in these particular sprites.  But I should have.  and fun will be had.

Offline Jasch

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 07:14:59 am
One thought on the legs:  I can't get over the impression that your ninja is limping.  The shorter 'knee thrust' of the foreground leg/less extension of the BG leg when compared to the other half of the run cycle gives the appearance of an uneven 'gallop'.

...and props:  The open-fingered blocking hand is a nice improvement.  One suggestion would be to foreshorten the fingers a little bit so that the hand does not distract from the ninja's face.  The trailing cloth from the ninja's mask is also absolutely *ace* in the fluttering detail; I was curious however about why, if the run speed is hyper-ninja, the cloth's flutter angles downward.  I imagine it streaming out more or less horizontally behind him.

Just a thought; keep up the great work!