AuthorTopic: [WIP] Explosion  (Read 4639 times)

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

[WIP] Explosion

on: August 01, 2008, 08:40:54 am
I'm working on an explosion and need some feedback.
I've looked around at different explosions both real and from different games and this is what I've observed.
I specifically looked at an explosion from this one game but I can't find the reference again.
I'll post it here as soon as I can find it.

(sorry if I state obvious things here)

1. In most games the blast seems to disappear from top to bottom while the some travels the other way.
2. First the blast is bright then it cools down to red and black.
3. Smoke has one color so it doesn't shift in color or tone out, it just disappears.
4. Expand -> Contract -> Evaporate

Here's my best so far...

Edit:

And here's the reference from the game I was talking about: http://www.forsakenguild.com/sprites/Monster_Sprites/Explosion.png
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:05:27 am by robotacon »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Explosion

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:49:02 am
This explosion has no clear 'direction' if it is in mid-air,  make it more centered looking, smoke would be coming from within the explosion, not emerge below and around it. If however the explosion started on the ground, smoke would exist below it and travel across the floor while getting less, an aditional amount of smoke would travel after the epxlosion, which rieses up due to its heath.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:26:31 pm
I don't know where you got the idea that the fire and smoke should take different directions. All products of heat generally travel the same way, which is up. Right now, the flame looks like it's lit from a gas line which is then quickly cranked down. Also, the smoke would look better if it dissolved into the air instead of shrunk in those five distinct little puffs. I guess I just disagree with your breakdown: Expand->Contract->Evaporate. I believe there should be no contracting; just: Expand->Evaporate.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:22 pm
fire should dissipate into smoke, smoke dissipates into nothingness. It doesn't shrink back to the point of origin, it diffuses towards noise. It's a bit of a cliche, but it's time to look at Metal Slug type explosions heh :P

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:21:16 pm
explosions have an outward force, usually in every direction, caused by a rapid expansion/seperation of particles which get burnt and turned into a gas..
air is also forced outwards due to the initial blast and afterwards, the air rushes back in due to atmospheric pressures, while at the same time the gas is lighter than air, and hence rises..

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 04:28:04 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys,
I'll do back to the lab and try to mix up a new blast following your recipes.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 01:50:19 pm
http://www.lucidmovement.com/?cat=47

Study study study! Every animator should have this website bookmarked.
I mild from suffer dislexia.