AuthorTopic: My grass tiles are too noisy ):  (Read 3713 times)

Offline $ymbol

• View Profile

My grass tiles are too noisy ):

on: August 07, 2008, 03:45:09 pm

I don't know how many colors I used, but I'm sure it's more than what I needed.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: My grass tiles are too noisy ):

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:57:21 pm
they're not too noisey.. they look fine in that department.
though i think they need more variety to hide the apparent grid/tiled artifacts (looks repetative horizontally).
add more different tiles to spice things up and break the monotoney, such as some rocks, or flowers, or tufts of longer grass or plants.. etc..

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 04:03:51 pm
they're not too noisey.. they look fine in that department.
though i think they need more variety to hide the apparent grid/tiled artifacts (looks repetative horizontally).
add more different tiles to spice things up and break the monotoney, such as some rocks, or flowers, or tufts of longer grass or plants.. etc..

Seconded, These look fine to me but could be greatly improved with a little variety.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:15:44 pm
Hm it says you've got 11 colors there. It seems that a few of the colors there are pretty indistinguishable from one another, especially a lot of the green midtones. That said, the colors that ARE visible from 1x are nice choices. I'd just merge a few of those, and you're on your way. Other than that, I would just add a bunch of variation tiles as Alex pointed out, and a bunch of transitions between the varying levels of grass brightness.

Good job, $ymbol.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 10:21:06 pm
I don't know how many colors I used, but I'm sure it's more than what I needed.
i wouldn't call them "noisy", but my eye is focusing on those dark pixels in the lightest tile. maybe that was a bit too much and that you'd benefit from removing that darkest shade -- at least on that one.