AuthorTopic: My first attempts  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Andre

• View Profile

My first attempts

on: August 01, 2008, 03:57:49 am
Well, hello guys, I use to work with 45 degrees pixel art for some time actually, but a friend told me I got plenty much to learn and I totally agree with him, so here I am in order to get some advices and pratice.

Here's some of my work

Please, help me to master the techniques I'm in need to understand

and Thank you.

Andre

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Re: My first attempts

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:41:44 am
Some comment would really be nice Oo

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:47:34 am
Whoa man, you've posted that less than an hour ago... you need to have a lot more patience here. Especially at this time.

Not much to say... but the quality of your icons drastically outweigh the quality of your tiles. I tend to hate the 45 degree stuff, though... but that doesn't nullify the fact that your textures are pretty bland on the wall... and the water is typical 'sprinkle a few pixels here and there'. They just don't show the same skill.

Look at you sword. You fill all that space with something. Instead of doing a typical, boring hilt, you gave it an elaborate design. You have it branch off, you fill the center with a jewel. Then you have the gold and red armor. Look at all the detail in the wings... then, you have the fountain. No elaborate design, dull colors, and the water is really boring and just doesn't look like water at all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 05:02:48 am by Dusty »

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:01:14 am
Thank you Dusty, for the comment, sorry about my haste haha well, I've been training on equipment sprites for a long time, indeed I'm better as a Blacksmith then an architech haha
But I"m try'n to master this water and enviorment techniques, I looked for many tutorials and so on but most of them use isometric pixalization, it's hard to find good tutorials on 45 degrees perspective. But if you guys could train me somehow i would really appreciate this.

Sorry again for the double posting

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 05:08:24 am
I think Ultima 7 is the best reference you're going to find for this kind of perspective.  It's not very common.  There's really not much to know about pixelling with a 45 degree axis though, is there? You can apply anything you read about isometric just with different angled lines.  In fact you seem to handily be doing that already, what you've shown looks fine.  Perhaps you should choose a global light source though and make one facing of wall always more shaded than the others to make them stand out.

Offline Andre

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:40:52 am
Well, looking at ultima, I think my Ice wall is really boring haha so I did this kind of haunted house, see what u guys think about it

Also did this "path" thing with some rain forest tile I did, mixed with my earth tile
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 08:27:45 am by Andre »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 11:49:26 am
473 colours in 2 tiles and a character. That's alot. You lack general understanding of what pixel art is, as well as certain skill of observations. At the character, the head is off, should be more to the front, and 'end' higher in the image space. The tiles you drew, have a certain gradient, as if they're all sloping upwards. THe hounted house furtherly has an inconsistent light source as you mirrored the walls.

Draw environmental tiles as plain object, with only volumes defined, as in a game, your light source should always be coming from a single direction, or you should create light by overlay effects. I suggest you to train on art in general, pixelart if you wish, to improve obersevations and to become able in controlling colours and uniting your whole piece. Don't think of a game in your next piece, just draw something (not too big), in which you involve volume and light. Possibly perspective too, even though it's not needed in this variation of an axonometric projection.

As far as water goes... Just look around this place ;) There may be something in here for ya: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=4912.0

Offline Timpa

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 04:08:48 pm
Made a small edit to your box André, one thing you shouldn't do is copy the wooden boards so that all of them are the same.