AuthorTopic: platformer sprites and animation dump  (Read 21356 times)

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Re: platformer sprites and animation dump

Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 09:28:56 pm
Also right now I'm encountering problems of another nature! Game maker doesn't seem to let me turn pixel interpolation off (both the "set_texture_interpolation(false);" or something code and the game options checkbox dont seem to change anything to it), so everything is sort of blurry, like what that new firefox version does to scaled pixel art. If anyone knows how to get rid of that nasty effect, gimme a holler!
I think this is actually because Game Maker is using hardware, rather than software, now and there's no way around that.  One thing you can try is to scale the view up instead of changing the resolution (like make the view size 320x240 and the window size 640x480) but there are some issues with that.  Graphics can appear glitchy, there's usually some visual tearing while scrolling, and if you have anything moving at sub-pixel rates it will actually draw them between pixels.  Same with draw events, a 1 pixel line will be one pixel relative to the screen resolution rather than the view.
One other possible way is to scale everything up in the object's creation event, image_xscale and image_yscale at 2 or however much you want to scale it, works very well. This is what Cactus does. Only problem is that you have to account for the upscaling in the room view, put gaps in the blocks and that sort of thing. It's kind of tedious but works like a charm afaik.

Another way I've heard is drawing everything to a surface and upscaling the surface, though I've never actually tried this.

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show

Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:38:03 pm
o snap those edits are sweet! I didn't think going even darker for the inner foreground tiles would work out but that looks pretty cool! Im going to try that out.....

For the mockups, I just have tiles already laid, edit the tile set around and then test the game to see how it looks in the room. For the techno tiles, honestly I don't really know what im doing with them! I just did sort of random patterns and tried to piece em together as walls, I never really did tiles of that genre before. Ill try and make some more interesting ones.

For the pixel blurring, I guess it means I'll have to make the game change the resolution before play.... Someone PMed me a solution about drawing the whole screen on a separate surface, stretching this surface cleanly and then drawing it, but I don't know how I'd handle game maker's tiles system with this, it seems like it woud be lots of trouble to work with...

(edit) Cow: hooo I figured scaling all sprites up would have given the same problems........interestins.....
shlong

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show

Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 02:48:53 am
Added some yellows and oranges to the techno tiles, and tried to follow the advice.
Here's a quick room that uses all of them:  (Edit: whoops, nope, I forgot some of them)

I might add like, machines in the walls to break the repetition further, instead of just machine-ey surfaces.

I haven't changed the techno dark background and the cavern tiles yet though, those are next.

the new tile set:

the square floor tiles are a little lame, im changing them right now. The ones the alien is standing on.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:56:29 am by Frankiesmileshow »
shlong

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 04:42:34 am
Another way I've heard is drawing everything to a surface and upscaling the surface, though I've never actually tried this.
I just did this like five minutes ago for the first time. I'd tried it before but was way overcomplicating things so it didn't work out too well. I get a little more about surfaces now and get it better: you just have an object somewhere in the room that, in the step event, redraws the screen to a surface, and then in the draw event, draws the surface at 2x. It's alot simpler than it seems.

As for the graphics, they're looking great. I really love the way the cave is coming along.
One thing that bothered me since I first saw this thread though is how slow the explosion is. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's awesome, yeah. But seems like it lasts a bit too long, unless you intend on speeding it up in-game.

Offline Lunar

• Programmer/Spriter
    • View Profile
    • Skyfire

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 05:26:44 am
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  Awesome, really awesome, but doesn't match the speed of the other animations.

Anyway, you've got some great stuff there.  You've got a nice bright/cartoony style there and it looks really neat.

-Lunar

Offline Wasp2100

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 09:16:27 pm
C'mon guys keep this goin!
oh, um how to i tell the animation to go in order while running? (i'm a noob.)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 02:36:27 am
You'd best leave thread reviving to the original poster, Wasp. Frankie will update when he's good and ready.

Since you're new here, there's a thread with some links to informative pixel art stuff over here in this section(tutorials and stuff like that)
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?board=9.0

Welcome to Pixelation. Enjoy the show and have a good look around.