AuthorTopic: Ice Lion  (Read 5621 times)

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Ice Lion

on: July 30, 2008, 01:28:31 pm
Hi folks, I decided to take a break from my smileys and work on something completely different but eventually I'll have to get them done.
So tadaaa...here's an Ice Lion. yup. With a fire mane too.
I quite like the fur but I think the mane looks really bad (esp. the half detailed version. The sketch (on the right) was better) so I would love to hear some thoughts and edits on it =)

I havent detailed the face yet so please, dont point it out.
Thanks in advance.

Cookie bonus : lil spheres (sorry for the zoom)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Ice Lion

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:43:00 pm
I think the problem with the flame is that it can't decide whether it's an actual flame or a physical object that looks like one. It's not being used as a light source, and around his chest it's actually being covered in shadow. I would recommend you remove the ambient light almost entirely and let the blue flame be the primary light source.

This edit is sloppy and has a lot of mistakes, but it's just to illustrate the idea.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:32:29 pm
well it's the same concept with the face. The face should be lit up as well from the flames, which Ben forgot to draw out.
Perhaps you could even save yourself some trouble and get a striking effect by skipping detail on the face and making it extremely light-washed out by the flame. Give it some dark eyes maybe

Offline qunit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:08:55 pm
for start this is a nice character, and the pallate you are working on that piece fits it well.
other than that two things :
1 - notice that his left front leg seems alittle miss-placed, his back legs spread proudly but the front leg looks like they are trying to touch each ther.
2 - for the flames i woyld recommand you use more darker shades inbetween the flames AND make more flame that are thiner ... like 4 or 5  flames twisting upwards will mak a nice effect
One pixel at a time

Offline fil_razorback

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:29:25 pm
Thanks to you all.
I did a new version before seeing qunit's words. Here it is :

I moved the lightsource (edited almost al the fur), tweaked the palette and trying a different flame technique. Is it worse or better ?
I might have a go at qunit's way though an edit would have helped to understand.

The face is still untouched, and I'll definately rework the front right leg.

Offline tomblifter

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:41:46 pm
Thanks to you all.
I did a new version before seeing qunit's words. Here it is :

I moved the lightsource (edited almost al the fur), tweaked the palette and trying a different flame technique. Is it worse or better ?
I might have a go at qunit's way though an edit would have helped to understand.

The face is still untouched, and I'll definately rework the front right leg.
I like the new flame and the abundant white lightning, it makes the creature look sacred and mystique.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 12:13:34 am
Body build a bit confusing...  Check with a more competent source, but I think it is a bit off cat's nature, more like pavian...
 Maybe something like that would fit better?

Perhaps, body is small compare to his head, i just point out the overall body shape.

Offline Pixelfish

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:57:17 am
Body build a bit confusing...  Check with a more competent source, but I think it is a bit off cat's nature, more like pavian...
 Maybe something like that would fit better?

Perhaps, body is small compare to his head, i just point out the overall body shape.
What I really want to say is excellent edit, nice piece.

Offline fil_razorback

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 01:35:34 pm
My incomplete knowledge of english prevents me from finding words nice enough to thank you Fool.
Your edit was absolutely wonderful and it was of a great help in reshaping the body. Thanks a lot  for your efforts :D

Here's the current state of things, I also completely reshaped the head after watching some wild life photos =)

Offline $ymbol

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 01:37:26 pm
Loads better than the original.  ;D

/ass-pats