AuthorTopic: Computer Graphics Question for a Nerd  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Computer Graphics Question for a Nerd

on: December 21, 2005, 01:12:05 am
Okay, here's my question:

I'm running a mediochre graphics card with a mediochre processor. I think my graphics card is just a stock gateway card, and my processor is a stock 128mb processor.

Normally, it doesn't really affect me, since I don't do anything graphically or processor-ly intensive, but I recently installed half life 2 (well, RE-installed.)

It runs, but not very smoothly. It takes about 3-5 minutes for each loading screen, and the graphics are choppy in parts where there are a lot of enemies/a large open space.

What I'm wondering is, which would benefit me more: a good graphics card? Or a better processor?

Keep in mind that all I'm attempting to do is make the graphics better and the loading faster. Would a graphics card make the graphics better while improving load times? Or would it simply make the graphics better?

NOTE: I can't get both, since I don't have much (any) money. I am looking for something approximately 200 or so dollars. If you have any suggestions, please tell me.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Re: Computer Graphics Question for a Nerd

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 02:21:28 am
Well you can get a cheap graphics card for around 50-70 dollars and it would run fine, as for the processor I am unsure.  Here are my comp specs and I run Half Life 2 perfectly fine and chop free, even with my Matrix Mod.
Emachines C2825, AMD Athlon, 2.08ghz and 512mb of ram, and a Radeon 9200se graphics card.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 02:30:01 am
Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll save up and get an alright graphics card, and probably a new processor. I do'nt know though, I'd kinda like to get a new computer of my own. (This is the family computer.)

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 10:27:43 am
Oh, I got my computer for around $550 and the card for $50 and this winter I'm buying my friends old Radeon 9800 for $60; I mean I like my 9200 but If I want to play Oblivion I need to boost up my PC, not just the Graphics Card.  Refurbished PCs is where it’s hot, they aren’t as expensive and are usually better, mine has a 120GB hard drive so just take a look at Refurbished first.  I got the $550 by taking down my above ground pool and selling the Aluminum, because my dad didn't feel like cleaning out that dark purple stuff that settled on the top and bottom.  Just hope for Xmas a lot of people got you money.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 10:31:21 am by Mercury Rising »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 01:26:16 pm
Geforce 6600gt 256mb,
it supports pixel and vertex shader 3.0.
It's probably the fastest mid-range card of
today.

It'll cost about 160-180$.

But,
what kind of cpu do you currently have?

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 08:37:16 am
Right, your computer is only going to be as fast as its slowest component.  ;) 

Graphics cards only do part of the work. 

Contary to popular belief, most of the work of the game is done in the CPU, not in the graphics card.  :)  Of course, if you don't have a good video card, your system can struggle in pushing all those polygons / effects. 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 08:44:43 am by NyanNyanKoneko »