AuthorTopic: Demons and trees[update: july-31]  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Demons and trees[update: july-31]

on: July 29, 2008, 11:45:13 pm
While at my aunts house, I had the first oppurtunity to open up ms paint in a long while( Mac laptop).
I found a VERY old sprite I made of a demon( figure that) and decided to have some fun redoing it.
Also, a tree : D
comments/ critique/ cupcakes accepted.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:40:30 am by Ryumaru »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Demons and trees

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:44:30 am
Ass-pats from me.  your second rendition of the arms is much better than the first, though the flow of the deltoid is quite off resultingly.  It just cuts straight across at the moment, when it should wrap towards the top a bit.

the tree is alright, but I think you focussed to much and making it ultra-smooth instead of figuring out good forms.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 12:52:03 am
Indigo: Thanks man :] Yeah I know what you're talking about but even though it's wrong it still looked cool so I kept it :3
About the tree, how exactly do you think it fails with the form? I blocked it out very roughly trying to work them out to avoid that exact problem.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:11:46 am
quick quick example of what I meant - though it needs to be taken farther than this.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 03:03:29 pm
Nice!  I agree that the tree's forms could be pushed a little more, but the main problem is that the perspective is wonky...Compare the imaginary ground plane based on the roots positions to the angle we're viewing the trunk!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:30:30 pm
If you throw the eye level right blow the green, and thus move the tree up regarding centering in the picture, as well as make the bush less high and move it's highlights up a tad ti increase a more flattened out/foreshortened feel, it would fix some perspective issues.

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:00:00 pm
I know you know your anatomy, which just makes that Demon's muscles bug me more.  Made up to be cool and all but to me it just looks like he couldn't move those arms if he wanted to :blind:

Somewhat modest edit:

Offline qunit

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:16:33 pm
You choose your colors beautifuly !! really... the stones, the tree, the demon - great colors
as for the sading - not such a big fan of the demon, i dont like the mirror effect. and if i were you i would put some scars, vains, bubbles on his skin... will make him looks more monsterish ...
besides i think you should go with the open hands verson... and less highlight the arms
about the tree.. i like the shading, but i think that if you use less highlights and more try to seperate the highlight lines with cube-like shading it will look alot more interesting and realisting - as for the top of the tree
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:18:12 pm by qunit »
One pixel at a time

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 04:02:20 am
Ill edit this post soon with an update but just wanted to give replies : D
AdamAtomic: Thanks! yeah so I didn't even notice that, fresh eyes can really do wonders! I think I might wait to put some grass tiles in to be able to judge that more easily before I fix it.
TrevoriuS: Hmm I don't think I really understand what you're saying? D:
Lackey: haha I guess I was just feeling rebelious :P maybe the update will be better. Thanks.
qunit: Would you ever believe im apparently partially colorblind? haha.
I'll think about that, I want anything of that sort to contribute to his design and infact I don't really want too much of a " monsterish" look. he's supposed to look more inteligent.
Are you referring to the top as if it's finished? if so, it's most definitely not haha.
Thanks everybody :]
Edit: Maybe this will somewhat fix some of the problems mentioned :3

don't worry this isn't the final version of either, just want to know how things stand now.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:39:35 am by Ryumaru »

Offline qunit

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:20:52 am
well yes im talking about the top of the tree.
about the demon - if you want to make him look serious\smart\grandmaster kinda look, i think you still should make his skin less smooth.. i will make him look acient... and you can add some twirls or acient look like shapes - like tatoos

and i would never guess about the color blind   :lol:
One pixel at a time