AuthorTopic: my pixel art.  (Read 16578 times)

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Re: Square dude

Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 03:42:28 pm
ok i made a new guy so he looks alot better!

ill tell you about him.......

THE PIXEL MINUS!

Newer one:

+abOut hIm+

he is called the Pixel Minus because he takes pixels and minus the size on them
so when there is a huge pixel dragon trying to kill him he can just minus the size on it and smash it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 04:53:34 pm by rudydbooty »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Square dude

Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 05:10:14 pm
ok i made a new guy so he looks alot better!

The idea is not bad per se, but i have the feeling you should start to do something more artistic...

Give your characters a more interesting pose.
Allow them to have more than one colour (i mean colour, not shade)
Try out more lighting schemes, or more material. They all look to be made of the same "virtual clay" so far
Look for more interesting shapes. Don't stick to polyhedron with extensions for the feet
Give them an environment to live in.
Try out some more elaborated pixeling techniques such as AA and dithering.

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Re: my pixel art.

Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 07:54:51 pm
ok i added some color .. and made his feet 1 pixel closer..

here is the newer one

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:53:59 pm by rudydbooty »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 10:58:54 am
no, that's worse, imho.
Right before, you had a dark character with some shading from a top-down crude light. A bit boring to look at, but correct.
now you added highlight where there was shadow, but still keep a bit of shadow there. That's just non-sense ...

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 08:23:40 pm
Oh...

Well is this better?

EDIT:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:04:31 pm by rudydbooty »

Offline Keizgon

• View Profile
    • Keizgon Arts

Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 12:23:13 am
You seem to have the habit of pillow shading your images. Take a look at the black clay baby from space (?), it shows horrible geometry. I remember when I use to do this when I was starting out because I had little concept of the light source. It did me wonders just to read a tutorial on how to do this:

http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html
http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=225

There are of course other techniques to go with this, such as dithering, but it's best you first understand the light source (which is usually not in front or behind the image, but to an angle to show geometry). Read those tutorials and see if you can try again.

Also note, you seem to be too abstract in your designs. Try designing something simple for practice, like basic shapes (sphere, cube, cone, ...). Later try going to real objects you can study with a photo or sketch (snakes, rocks, ...). If you want to be creative, do it based on loosely real objects when you have the feel down.

Don't worry, you'll get there with some practice. :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:33:26 am by KratosX »

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 09:31:26 pm
I read the Tutorial and i made this quick thing..

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 10:41:46 pm
what is it?   ???

Offline Keizgon

• View Profile
    • Keizgon Arts

Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 12:49:01 am
Ok, first of all, if you don't know what it is, chances are that it's not even close to a shape. Don't make "quick things" that defy geometry. If you don't understand basic geometry, take a piece a paper and pencil and practice drawing by recreating simple shapes. Do this first before you try doing anything else. Get the grasp down, then try pixel art.

Secondly, I looked at your shading, it's just diagonal lines moving from left to right. Ok, glad you know where the light is coming from (top left according to your image), but let's do something new.

Picture below shows

A) How you're shading your image (follow the white lines). There wasn't any thinking involved concerning the shape. Take your time if you have to. There is no rush, the better you can do this slowly, the quicker you will become later on.

B) Here's an ugly yellow sphere and the very basic demonstrating of the lightings shape of it. I used these colors to show an example in poor shading. Look how everything is shaded (follow the black lines) in a ok spherical shape, but you can hardly tell due to the colors conflicting in lightness (aka value or luminosity on your graphics editor) and crazy saturation. If the light value is the same for each shade, decrease it on each, creating a bigger space between value (just don't get carried away). For example, if I have a red light value of 80, I might decrease it by 10 (or more if I have to) for the next shade. Now they have a space of 10, because it will be an 80 red lighting and a 70 red lighting. You can apply a similar effect to saturation (although it may take more playing around to get the feel you want).

C) Now look at this cylindrical shape. My light source is in the top left, obviously. It doesn't have a great angle, but that's ok, we're trying to understand how shading creates shape. Follow the black lines, as it selects each shaded piece as it gets darker (the first one is the darkest shade in mine, but I was trying to display design of the cylinder). Note that I use only 4 shades (those squares next to the shapes) for both the sphere and the cylinder. Try not to go over this number for now to keep things simple in the learning process.

D) You are probably wondering what that ugly cylinder with a red 'x' through it is. Well, from what you designed, I believe you were trying to create a cylinder (correct me if I am wrong) and I wanted to point out that creating two ends to a cylinder like this is impossible. Like I first said in this post, go draw some shapes on a piece of paper if you are having trouble with design.

Now this time, try recreating what I did with the cylinder by looking (don't copy paste) at how I designed it. After that, try creating a shape on your own (cube, sphere, ...).

Offline rudydbooty

• Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Rudydbooty

Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 12:18:16 am
is this any better? shading?

i read the tutorial and it helped me alot!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 12:45:29 am by rudydbooty »