AuthorTopic: tiles tiles tiles.... grady rah  (Read 5404 times)

Offline artisan

• View Profile

tiles tiles tiles.... grady rah

on: July 24, 2008, 04:51:43 am
so heres something i have been working on over at pj for a while.... decided to come here and get some more crits

things i know about

- the flower needs changing as it doesn't fit in
- the people don't fit with the environment (although this seems the case it is my desired effect as i want the player / players to be very obvious within the game as i plan it to be online im working on it in flash useing smartfox servers)

there are some other problems but i have probably forgotten what they were so anything you can think of that can help me is good!

"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Re: tiles tiles tiles.... grady rah

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 05:29:27 am
Trees leaves look odd. Like, not really like leaves, rather than strips of sharp green pointy things. Idk how to describe it.
Whats the white thingy on the red guys forehead?
The cliff tiles near the bridge look really repetitive, and kind of odd looking. I don't know how to do the detail on it though :/

It looks good though. I like the simplicity of the character however, dont change that :D

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:38:38 am
I actually feel that the jaggedness of the character is at odds with the rest of the piece.  WHile the simplicity is nice, i think he needs considerable smoothing (or the background needs to change).

the tree leaves are the most interesting part but lack resolution.  polish them up and the shape will be easily accepted.

house looks good except that the roof texture doesn't mean anything and the black around it serves to put it under the grass rather than set it on top.

cliff tiles aren't bad in theory, but they lack integration.  all you need is three or four more tiles - to add shape interest and build form - and a better layout.

cheers  :y:
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:09:11 pm
I like the tree. It's leaves and proportions are unrealistic to the point that it works is such. I like the characters and the grass tile as well. The cliff side looks like it's made of mud, not rock. Add something to indicate sediment layers maybe..?

The house, a few things..

The door seems very low for the characters.
Grass in front of the doorstep. Make a stony step or the path leading to the door, not just grass.
The vertical logs stick out a lot from the wall but the horizontal logs don't.
The blue reflection on the windows.. from this angle, it should reflect the green of the grass, if anything.

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:08:08 pm
It's funny that no one has yet thought of that tree as an evergreen. Well I absolutely love the piece, but here's a few nitpicks.

The cliffs - they should be more like the tiles shown on the left, but with more detail.

The log house -  the grey bar should be replaced with grass. the logs are too 'clean' and look like brown metal. there should at least be a small path in front of the door, two tiles at least.

the white house (and i don't mean that american building) - the texture is too simple, and needs more colors to stay with the detailed design of the rest.

water - too repetitive.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 01:24:05 pm
Thanks allot for all the crits guys heres my update so far.

ignoreing the non american white house for now i will come back too that when i start to work on a more townlike environment.

most of you seem to be commenting the cabin so i concentrated mostly on that.
 - lightened up the darkest colour to bring it forward more
 - tinted the windows slightly green for reflection off grass
 - made the door slightly taller its size is however limited to the size of the tile
 - put in a little step before the door
 - remade the roof texture (will make a couple of tiles for variation)
 - extended the logs out sideways

one problem i am having with the hut as talos said it looks too smooth i had tried but have no idea of how to fix this without it looking way too busy.. any ideas guys n gals?

i also worked a bit on the cliff tiles and i feel better about those, i will make some variations on them soon.
i also touched the tree slightly but not much i will still work on that further along with the water tiles.

i attempted to integrate the charicter into the scene more i think it worked enough so i can keep it like that, just need to change it on the animations.

more critique anyone?  ;D

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 01:42:54 pm
Very nice, especially the texture on the grass. It's still very grid-looking though; I'd say you need to use some non-grid objects to hide the seams. The transition from grass to water is a bit strange too; there's no bank or sand bar, and the water is too deep to be flood water (the only instance I can think of where grass and water are touching)
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 12:54:38 pm

:'( i realy dont like the direction this is going in atm, i think the sand needs allot of work too it....

couple of things, are the new flowers and cliffs good...

any edits / sugestions / refrences for the sand texture... i think i need to totally rework it :/

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 03:04:24 am
Cliffs look like bark to me. Make it less twisty looking and more rocky / jagged.

Flowers look ok to me.

Sand doesn't look that great.

Here is some reference for you:

http://www.fantasyanime.com/mana/som2shots5.htm

Scroll through the shots, there is some sand and pretty much everything else.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:43:20 am
evileye - it's that kind of suggestion that leads to all rpg's looking exactly the same.

how 'bout looking at some actual rocks and sand?  there's a lot to be inspired by there.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.