AuthorTopic: Black and white  (Read 11233 times)

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Re: Black and white

Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 09:46:03 pm
Eyes should be centered vertically on the face (add a little more forehead to the top of both).  Good benchmark for ear sizes (especially on a basic frontal pic like these) is from the top of the eyelid to the bottom of the nose.  So extend the ears down a little bit.  Female faces generally have less defined bone structures.  Removing that furrow line right below the ear on the cheek will likely make the face more feminine.  In general, the features of the face seem flatly placed on instead of actually being built in (especially evident in the way you treated the bar code on the man's head (it doesn't even bend to the round shape of a forehead).  Try treating the eyes as actual spheres and allow how the skin around the sockets is formed around that to come into your work.  Irises generally don't look like that with the rays coming out of the pupil.  Also highlights are rarely contained with the pupil itself but usually overlap it and are on the iris.

As a compositional sort of critique it could be neat if the two people were looking more towards the center of the piece and outward at the viewer instead of straight ahead.  All of the hairs, from eyelashes to eyebrows are pretty excellently rendered.  I also think the idea of the scene is pretty sweet.

Overall these seem like really terrible references when you could very easily find pictures of people looking straight on into a camera.  You will learn a lot about facial anatomy from this piece, but, there are a lot of basic errors that show a general lack of experience that could be remedied a lot quicker from a ton of studies with a less intensive medium such as drawing.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:05:07 pm
It's a little hard to shade using the shading style I've done on the guy.
I haven't done anything to the eyes yet.
As for the "rays" coming from the pupil that is supposed to be the iris it's hard to color an eye with black and white man.

Sorry for the bad references, I just kind of wanted the characters to look like me and the girl I fancy.
I'll look up some faces straight on so I can see what I'm doing wrong, but I'm not really going to change too much of their appearance.

I suck at drawing with a pencil, I like the feel of a mouse.
I'm also too impatient to erase things, I like undo too much.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:08:28 pm by Souly »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:23:04 pm
That reply seems to me like 'no I won't try to make it better'  :-\
All of the critique Ian gave you is solid. Your are putting features on a face mister-potato-head-like. Study the fundamentals and rework this from the top, use your pencil, it's your friend. Do a lot of studies. Think of features on a face as things with volume. It's the hard road to what Skurwy - sorry, mr. Spade - did to get to his Razor piece, but it's the right one. There are no shortcuts. I can give you a drawover of this if you want, but the point I want to communicate most of all is : don't fight critique, don't be impatient, don't be afraid to push yourself.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 10:56:42 pm
Sorry Helm, I don't have the skills to really show my understanding of what he wrote, in post form.
The only way I can do it is to put what he said into account.
Which I just did, the eyes are now perfectly vertically centered.
As for horizontal centering I still haven't gotten that figured out.
I'll change the ears as well.

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 11:39:39 pm
As for horizontal centering I still haven't gotten that figured out.
A way to check your eye position is to get the width of the eye from the left corner to the right corner.  Then break the head into 5 horizontal segments of this length with the 2nd segment from the left the left eye, the 3rd the bridge of the nose, the 4th the right eye, and the two segments on the edges composed of just side of head space.  Right now a little more space on each side of the eyes could make it slightly more realistic.  Keep working at it.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 06:54:29 am

I'll see what I can do about centering the eyes more horizontally correct.
I began shading the female n'stuff.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:15:14 am by Souly »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 06:03:23 pm

I think I may have figured out how to fix the hair.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 08:26:29 pm
I really think you should take better, straight on reference pictures, as I do not think you look like this.

The wide open eyes look scary, in a relaxed position you would not see the whole iris, but the top off it would be covered by the top lid a bit.
The ears also look quite unnatural and kinda invented.

You have a good base, and the resolution is high enough to pull off nice dither styles with just 2 colours, but I think you should use reference a bit more, because the structure is clearly lacking and it seems to be mostly due to lazyness.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 09:29:42 pm
See the reason for the bad flip is partly because I drew it halfed.
I'll try working on it as a whole and then half it see if that works better.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:46:13 pm by Souly »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 09:50:47 pm

hope this helps. Right now you're drawing symbols of a face, not your face.