AuthorTopic: Challenge Me!  (Read 7979 times)

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Re: Challenge Me!

Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 07:11:20 am
Just curious, do you guys tackle traditional art in the same way, no outlines just forms at first? I have just started doing this myself with my pixel art and it really helps but it would still be nice to actually see a solid example of how one of you guys tackle it. Any chance of a quick example Adam? I can see how this would work with painting but does the same hold true with other mediums such as pencil? I`ve always gone for the outlines first and feel that this is now not always the best way to start a piece.

Jason.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 07:38:18 am
Just curious, do you guys tackle traditional art in the same way, no outlines just forms at first? I have just started doing this myself with my pixel art and it really helps but it would still be nice to actually see a solid example of how one of you guys tackle it. Any chance of a quick example Adam? I can see how this would work with painting but does the same hold true with other mediums such as pencil? I`ve always gone for the outlines first and feel that this is now not always the best way to start a piece.

Jason.

Depends on what kind of art you're doing. If its painting, digital or paper, you can get away with just smearing colors where you intend to put stuff later, to get the basic idea of what you want.

But for finer more detailed art ( like comic book art ) you always start with an outline.

In pixeling starting with an outline doesn't work as well, unless the picture is large, so blobs of color might be better.

*EDIT*

BTW, I am not sure how you would make a form with pencil without making outlines.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 08:03:00 am by EvilEye »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 08:27:07 am
You can use some cross hatching, to define the shape, and major shade. THen you can add depth with more hatching and an eraser. If done good enough, and with enough care, it removes the idea of the result looking like it was 'drawn by hand'. Though I must say that with a graphite stick this is more easily aquired. If I can find the time I could try and fetch some results (if you are interested of course).

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 05:26:52 am
Then whats the point of lineart? Somehow, I just got really confused..

Sokota

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 06:01:21 am
There is no point. It's just a technique that some people feel more comfortable with. I imagine that those who have had most of their traditional art experience from a pencil, drawing comics, would feel more comfortable with lineart. Or perhaps its an artefact of the old days where sprites began as pencil drawn outlines.
It's one of many means to an end.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 06:24:58 am
I see. But it's discouraged in pixelart?

Sokota

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 06:57:13 am
I don`t think that it is discouraged as such I think that the guys are just saying that it is usually better to concentrate on the main forms of your subject before even thinking about any other details.

By going with an outline first it can be hard to get a feel for the volume of an object. Most people who go with an outline first still draw the volumes to some extent by reducing an object to its base shapes, for example you could break a basic animal shape down into spheres and cylinders and so on. This is also defining the forms of the underlying shape so you may even be doing this already without realising it.

Jason.

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 07:08:47 am
Ok, but for the most part, lineart isn't good for a beginner like myself to start with? I dunno much about forms, etc. which is why I wanted to know why lineart is "useless" or "discouraged". Note: I put did put those in quotes.

Sokota

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 03:43:40 am
open up your graphics program, make a new image and fill in only the sillouethe, animate it.