AuthorTopic: [WIP] Walk Cycle  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

[WIP] Walk Cycle

on: July 25, 2008, 08:16:55 pm
Finally got around to rediscovering that I do indeed have an account here and that I did have a WIP pixel going may moons ago.

Anyway, was having major troubles with getting a walk cycle to flow smoothly back then, so messed about with it today. After having requested The Animators Survival Kit last Christmas think I've got a better handle on things, but staring at things to long messes with your ability to judge correctly.

So, before I start detailing things, am I just imagining the back foot 'dragging' (for want of a better word) due to troubles with it previously, or no? Or anything else that can be pointed out/critiqued I'd be very grateful, as this is my first attempt at animating a sprite, or making a sprite full stop really.

Edit:  New version -----vs----- Old

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 10:58:02 pm by Weasel »
WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: Walk Cycle WIP

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 06:07:17 am
No the back foot does not appear to be dragging, at least not to me.

What you have there reminds me very much of the really old WB cartoons. Back when animations were really bouncy and exaggerated.

If there is anything I can comment on it is that the feet might be moving upwards too much too soon after they finish pushing back. Really difficult to tell by just looking at it though. This looks pretty good as it is, from here it would just be minor tweaking.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 07:01:35 am by EvilEye »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Walk Cycle WIP

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 05:09:11 pm
yeah looks great so far man, the arms especially :)  nice job!  now fill it in :D

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Walk Cycle

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 09:52:20 pm
Thanks to both for your comments.

I had a go at reducing the speed the foot comes off the ground, not sure if I like it better or not. Possibly looks more grounded.

original ----- new

WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:29:06 am
I would vote that the new one is slightly better looking ( to me ). At this point its really just a matter of what style you're going for.

In real life people only move their feet off the ground about an inch or so when walking, and they only bend their knees slightly.

So the more realistic you want it, the more you should reduce the bend in the knees and lower the height the feet rise off the ground. ( you would also have to reduce the head-bob ).

On the other hand, if you're going for a more cartoony / exaggerated walk, you're already there with either of those.

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 08:44:31 am
Yeah, not going for much of a realism thing with this one, but still want it to feel 'correct' even with exaggeration and not just throw human anatomy straight out the window or anything.

Think I do prefer the new version, legs seem to have more weight. Now... to work out what to turn it into and practise colouring sprites.