AuthorTopic: MASSIVE ALIEN PINCER INSECT BOSS [WIP]  (Read 11544 times)

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Re: MASSIVE ALIEN PINCER INSECT BOSS [WIP]

Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 09:56:31 pm
You're actually definitely right on that looking at it again now you've said that, if you even/level out the top of the skull it should help a lot, as it's obviously throwing people off at the moment and skewing the entire thing.
WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 11:01:45 pm

I do suggest you do more shaping than rendering before you hit the pixel polish level.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 12:09:29 am
holy hell helm your awesome  :D

wow nice edit, it captures the feel id like to go for, but its a bit too bulbuos i dont intend such a sphere-ish shape but for sure im gonna use some of those suggested shapes on the lower brows and side walls of the face also i like the bump under his higher eyes the concave on the sides the lower face/teeth area is EXCACTLY what i want.

oh ya is that PS or did you sketch it first?

and i do wish adding those forms were as easy as a brush stroke :/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 12:28:18 am by QuaziGNRLnose »
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 12:47:07 am
It's actually easier with a range of tones in pixel art. Pixelling is the fastest, most mutable way to lay down volumetrics, I think. I'm glad to have been of service and yeah these are just suggested 'bumps', just some shapes to get you going. I use Manga Studio to do my sketching mostly. This edit is a hilarious 600 dpi 20cm-20cm drawing monster sucking 30 megabytes of storage before it was shrunk down for posting, haha!

What I want you to keep from the edit is contrasting softness with SHARPNESS and that your rendering should suggest the texture of the material that the object is made of. Here we have bone, bone has specific properties. Look at bone photos in GIS.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 01:01:43 am
maybe i should add darker darks and lighter light to give more refelctive? feel whadya think?

although i find pixeling fast for volumes, its VERY slow on a larger scale, compared to faster fethered brushes

and also as a future note, i think ill draw better more detailed lineart before attempting something of such LARGE scale
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:36:14 am by QuaziGNRLnose »

Offline Fizz

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 02:00:32 am
Lineart is not the way to go!  It's a lot better if you start by blotting out the basic shapes and values in grayscale or such especially for large pieces because from lineart things can become more unnatural and flat looking.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:03:45 am by Fizz »

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 02:58:23 am
Lineart is not the way to go!  It's a lot better if you start by blotting out the basic shapes and values in grayscale or such especially for large pieces because from lineart things can become more unnatural and flat looking.

well if you understand the froms in your lines then youll understand what youre doing, but i do what you said, just ontop of the lineart i draw

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 06:08:24 am
maybe i should add darker darks and lighter light to give more refelctive? feel whadya think?

although i find pixeling fast for volumes, its VERY slow on a larger scale, compared to faster fethered brushes

and also as a future note, i think ill draw better more detailed lineart before attempting something of such LARGE scale

is anyone suggesting that you go higher scale? Helm's statement seemed more like an anecdote than anything else.

Personally, I believe feathered brushes are usually quite unprecise and just give a fuzzy impression of the volumetrics...unless they're done with a tablet and enough knowledge of them to have the precision of a (real-life)brush stroke.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 27, 2008, 12:02:08 pm
@ Conceit

no nones suggesting i go higher in scale, i meant that next time i try to make something as big as my current piece, ill pay more attention to what my lines looks like, and ill add more complex shapes to the piece to make it more exciting

also about the brushes, I wish i had a tablet but even without one you can make detailed pieces, you just need to draw a double or even triple size picture then scale it down to get more smothing and crisper edges even a mouse can do that, and of course like any other art medium, you need to know what youre doing for it to work well.