AuthorTopic: MASSIVE ALIEN PINCER INSECT BOSS [WIP]  (Read 11543 times)

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Re: MASSIVE ALIEN PINCER INSECT BOSS [WIP]

Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 12:06:22 am
well its pixel art right now isnt it?
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 05:16:06 am
Well first before you do your pixeling, you need to make sure your lines are correct.

I went ahead and drew some reference lines according to how the head is positioned. I drew the correct lines in red, then drew some blue lines across your drawing to show how they were off.

Now using the red lines I redrew the head to show you the difference.

As for the size, pixeling just the head won't be terribly hard, but, pixeling a body to go with it, then animate it... thats a LOT of work, and a lot of dithering.

Anyway, the whole thing with making lines like its in a 3d modeling program is not really necessary ( or recommended ). What is important is you get a basic shape down and make sure its correctly proportioned and aligned, and THEN pixel it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 05:20:41 am by EvilEye »

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 04:53:26 pm
well thats a nice edit, although i promise ill fix some things, i cant change everything the way you did it, just because it skews the shape a bit too much into an undesired shape , but i can see by your edit that the maing plate, (that tricerotopssih thing) need to be lowered on the right and closer to the head on the left, that should correct most of it, oh ya, about the animation, its not going to be dawn in frame by frame(for obvious reasons) but more in pieces, and the claws will be rotated by the game engine but will have extra frames for the lighting, but im probably not using this for the game anyways, more of a practice now since im switching to photoshop graphics so my game looks unique, and not just another pixeled game. i feel thats been done too much. and about the time it will take, im not too woried about that, its more of a for fun project than anything

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 05:11:22 pm
I think it would be worth exploring the form more before you start doing finished shading on it.  It's a pretty dull shape currently, and would benefit from more structural detail before you even think about adding heavy dithering!

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 06:15:38 pm
ive just begun the head, and im going t add way more detail to it, its just the base model right now, i plan on adding thick hairs and cracks also looks a bit dull cause of no eyes, ill add dimples ect minor detailsin large abundance

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 07:52:06 pm
Why do you need finished shading on a portion on which a crack and different detail is going to be drawn anyways?

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 07:59:06 pm
well its not finished shading, and because it gets very confusing to realise how light reacts on the object without having the actual object there. also i find it hard to make the dull shape more intresting its supossed to be the way it is now, and i dont plan on adding too many gizmos to it. im open too suggestions on what i can add.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 09:09:16 pm
well i tried my hand at making his eyes but although im happy with the result (it looks friggin photorealistic) im not happy with its design, i found out its very hard to make an insects eyes show emotion, they only show a blank stare, and cant show anger like i want, i might make the eye have a pupil so i can show anger, but then ill have to change it completely. yes it is just a shiny sphere, but i find it was good practice for shading a almost mirror surface. tell me if you like or not, and why, as always open to suggestions

looks best at 2x zoom

Offline Weasel

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 09:23:05 pm
If you're trying to express emotion or character in something with essentially dead looking eyes as part of it's design, you might want to think more carefully about it's posing and body language when you do get around to giving it a body to counter for that. Plus even with eyes without pupils, moveable eyebrows etc. giving the eye an aggressive looking shape can help a lot.

Also, I think what people have been trying to point out isn't problems with your rendering (which is impressive and ambitious on this scale) but the fact the underlying structure of the head seems off kilter or wonky in areas, such as the right eye/s could probably do with moving up and to the left a bit, which would undermine your hard work work however well it's shaded.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 09:39:56 pm by Weasel »
WARNING - This post may contain incredibly bad spelling and/or grammar due to the dyslexic nature of the poster. Please ignore this until the problem can be rectified.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 09:48:13 pm
first of all thanks for aying my rendering was impressive, thats the type of drive i need, and ill see if giving a sorta angry s curve to the eye will help. about that moving the eye part, i find it would look extremely less wonky if i moved the right shield down so that it gets proper alignment