AuthorTopic: [WIP] Robot  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Oltar

• View Profile
    • Akira V.3.0

[WIP] Robot

on: July 22, 2008, 12:47:05 pm
First post here, I´m a noob in the way of pixel art. This is the second character that I´m doing. The Metal Slug robot is only a reference for the size, and I´m using the Arne palette.
C+C are needed  ;D
My english sucks.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Robot

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 02:07:27 pm
I'd like to adress anti alias and light consistency issues. It's either inconsistant light, or lack of understanding of the shapes of the surfaces in your object. In addition to that, I recommend to use your outline colour (in your case black) not for lines inside as well, instead, apply it very minimal as another level of shade. Finally, as I went along I also decided to change the palette to be more befitting of the object. I know it's a WIP, so sorry if I went on too far ahead of you and did things you alreqady had in mind.

I can't consider myself an expert, but I hope this edit helps you:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:10:34 pm by TrevoriuS »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 02:15:17 pm
I Think you need to have a look at some references (not of real robots) but other people's work, as the character design is kinda flawed.  For example the legs are really scrawny and somehow support massive metal feet.  Also, you need to consider the mechanisms for the legs - how are they joined to the waist and feet?  How do the legs bend?  How does he move?

Having such a wide shoulder span would not be very good for stability, especially with those giant hands.

perhaps try a few pencil sketches to get the basic forms of your robot before applying the pixel technique.

Offline Oltar

• View Profile
    • Akira V.3.0

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:20:27 pm
Trevorius thank you for the comments, but now I don´t think to put antialias in the character (maybe when I have a good knowledge of pixel art).  The retouched bot it´s awesome.
Feron It´s a draw, not a real robot, I know what you mean (to make more realistic). I work on the redesign. And I have a sketch with ballpen for reference.
Thank you for yours comments, so I´m going to work hard!
My english sucks.

Offline Antago

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:24:11 pm
it does look proportionately weird. I did a junky retouch on it without really getting too in depth with fixing its texture and coloring. I modified some parts to give you a better understanding on how to give it some form and character

I wanted to make the right arm angled more instead of looking weird and flat. I want to make the robot look like he is slightly turned, as you were depicting, as well, so I modified some of the lighting and shapes like on the breast plate, arm, and shoulder of the right side.

The legs were truly bizarre, looking like scrawing bird legs, which is ordinarily an unattractive machine design, so I gave it some better weight and volume in the torso and legs.

For the right side of the body, I noticed you didn't seem to give any shine to the left breast plate (well, barely), when in reality metal catches every lightwave and you would definitely see it. Moreover, the head does not cast a black river on things realistically, especially since the breast plate is curved. So, I shaded the left breast plate (again, this is a rough edit) as a curved piece of metal in that placement/lighting would reflect, then the head casts a slight darkening rather than a pure dark shadow river.

The head was slightly too direct looking so I made it look angled, again, as well with the rest of the  body. In the eye I noticed that you shaded the right side of it, since the lightsource is on the right, depicting the eye going in a little. However, I felt that since it was against the black, which is VERY dark, it actually ended up looking like a highlight coming from the left side. So, I turned it around so that it looks like that light on the right slightly illuminated the inside of the beveled eye. No it may not be entirely realistic  but it's something that needs addressed.