AuthorTopic: [WIP] Dungeon Scene  (Read 7848 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [WIP] Dungeon Scene

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 08:22:14 am
imho, having the tunnel being the only source of light kills the overall scene in this last version. It makes the wall look all flat and terribly dark. You'll notice that st0ven used a secondary light source, more gloomy, that introduced really interesting highlights on sharp edges, and some patches of lighter bricks (phosphorecent foam?). That's doing more to the atmosphere of his edit than the actual darkness of the palette, imho.

Offline zaphyr

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 10:02:05 am
Okay, so now I've worked my way out of the tunnel and onto the nurnies (shields, plaque etc.) on the wall, where I've started adding specular from a secondary light.  Does this to address the flatness issues?

I also had a play with replacing my darkest gray with a saturated magenta, which seems to work out really well in the passage (Thanks for that great tip st0ven!).  I think the magenta is breaking the tone of the surfaces outside of the passage though, so I'll have to fix that.

Yup, the cobblestones need to be completely redone, and the bricks need to be prettied up. :)
Thanks for all the feedback!

Offline zaphyr

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 06:00:37 pm
Well, here's the latest edit.  Fixed the bricks a tad.

Offline michael

• ))<>((
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 07:44:32 pm
oh, i like how this is progressing! i, for one, liked the version with tunnel light source only.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 08:01:04 am
Thats looking really nice there.

The highlights on the wall ( though well-done ), detract from the darkness of the room.

Looks a little too cheery and non-threatening for a dungeon.

I recommend removing the highlights on the wall, and maybe adding some torches where those sword things are, then adding an eerie red glow from the torches.

Also might help to add a shadow to the part of the floor that isn't being hit by the light from the hall.