AuthorTopic: Kabuki  (Read 6274 times)

Offline Gazette

• View Profile

Kabuki

on: December 17, 2005, 11:54:32 pm

Hm, took about an hour, one of my favorite pieces so far. I'm concidering turning him into a new character for me.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Re: Kabuki

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 12:02:48 am
Looks pretty good, though the colors couldn't be any more saturated if they wanted to be. (figure of speech, don't take it that seriously)
But do lower the saturation. For me? ::)

Just another point, I'm not sure if this type of work detracts from it, but it seems that the light source is between you and the entity in the piece (a light way to put pillow shading) Of course, it might be that the light source is from above, but the neck seems to defy that.

But I'm mainly concerned about the saturation. Other than that, it looks nice. Like
Uh...
FLaN! (mmmmm...)

Offline Gazette

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 12:17:57 am
Well, i had an alternate pallette, that wasnt 256 colors, but i'm too lazy to post it this very minute.

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 05:35:10 am
Looks pretty good, though the colors couldn't be any more saturated if they wanted to be.
Yes they could. The saturation on this piece isn't bad at all.
This is how it would look if it were totally saturated:
Just because it's pixel art doesn't mean it has to have low saturation and softness to it.

However, I do have some crits.
-It does look rather pillow shaded. I would recommend playing around with the light source.
-The darkest two shades of red need more contrast between each other. Try making the middle red a tad lighter and the dark red a tad darker.
-The dark lines on the face (mouth, eyes) look really harsh. Maybe lighten the colour a bit or get rid of them.

Offline DayDream

• View Profile
    • spriteattack.com

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 02:17:17 pm
The piece is great... just the way it is... what is it with desaturated images? The use of colour is great, bold and it work well for the piece.... Thanks Razz for showing the fully saturated one...

As for the "pillow shading" - another "wonder word" on this board... "I detect some pillow shading..." ... "oh no, this is pilow shaded" - What a load crap in this case... the light source is centred and the symetry of the piece is par of its' charme and simplicity - underlining the japanese theme... as well as the harsh contrasts...

I love it... leave it as it is... great job...

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 12:19:34 am
oh you people and the "lower the saturation" critic!...
not everything as to be desaturated. yes, reality has very few situations where things as really saturated, but since we have computers there is really nothing stopping us from expressing ourselfs that way. I actually like the saturation as is. gives it stregth. why desaturate it? to make it more realistic? it's obviously an ilustration.

I think it looks really nice. it depicts the mask very well

really i think people are to quick to "desturate" every thing. it won't be long untill we have desaturated DBZ fanart :D

take care,

Kazuya
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 03:44:30 am
as well as the harsh contrasts...
I don't mind harsh contrast, just as long as it's consistent.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 08:39:49 am
Well I think the BG could do with being made black or a darker red, and the overall AA inmproved, as well as AAing the white outline.
Also, muck around with values on the greys and white to add some subtle colour to them. Furthermore, I think the shading on the neck, and the form of the ears could use some revision.

Overall pretty cool design, but your understanding of AA seems a bit limited... (This isn't meant to be an insult.)

Offline Gazette

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 09:20:12 pm
faceless, dont worry about it, i agree with you i need to work on AA. I'll really work on the colors and such, too, they were a bit rushed.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 04:48:25 am
Usually I'd be bothered by the colors, but I think you've used them very well. I think your aa could be improved (you aaed the red to white on his chin with a darker red... what?) but this is could revised or not I think. Problems people have pointed out are pretty minor and I doubt it'd make a difference at 1x zoom if you did go back and tweak things. I say keep it as is. It's got a nice charm to it.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 05:38:13 am
Allow me to express my apologies for my crits. I used to be more open.
Staring at the thing for a duration while I zoom up to crit it doesn't help.  ;D

...*Sigh* Used to be...