AuthorTopic: Diagonal Running Animation Help  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Diagonal Running Animation Help

on: July 16, 2008, 10:15:16 pm
Here's a template for my game I've been working on. Running. I'm finished with the south and east/west directions, but once I started diagonal I got stuck. Can someone give me advice or a template or something... I just can't picture how it would look in my head.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:45:53 pm by Masked »

Offline michael

• ))<>((
    • View Profile

Re: Isometric Running Animation Help

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:29:34 am
what youve got now isnt really isometric. mainly because your guy is sideview and isometic is slightly topdown. hes looking pretty good for sidescrolling. one of my favorite isometric games is boktai

maybe this will help
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9fM9brCw2lg

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:51:38 am
Isometric doesent have to be top down. Just go in eight directions.
I think o0.
Anyways, I think it would be better if the sprites your working on were more top down-ish, and a bit smaller. Think, minish cap from the Zelda series.
Also, I think that the torso is too long.

Offline michael

• ))<>((
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:19:39 am
isometric is not top down. its slightly topdown. i'll let wikipedia explain it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection zelda is very cool and it does have an interesting prospective, although not isometric. its not necessarily better, but a minish cap style would probably be easier.

Offline Masked

• View Profile

Re: Diagonal Running Animation Help

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:47:01 pm
If it's not called isometric, it's diagonal then. That sprite you showed me looks cool, but his huge pants and simplicity get in the way of it being able to be useful.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 07:40:58 am
The isometric perspective, shows the top side of objects, in a 1:1 aspect ratio. Out of that, two more sides ca be added, as long as the bounding box of the topdown is rotated 45 degrees, vertical lines that are also to a correct aspect ratio with the top view of the object, can be dropped down to define the sides. The sides then can be filled up, and are basically 1:1 in aspect ratio as well, but are both tilted 45 degrees.

Some people use 2:1 aspect ratio on the topview, and out of that again sometimes make the vertical lines 75% - 50% of their actual length. And I've even seen a 3:1 ratio around. Look on wikipedia what the isometric perspective is, what it looks like (in building and interior plans it is the clearest), and why it was originally used (architects).

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:25:20 am
trevorius, that is not traditional isometric, but rather a bastard that falls somewhere within what's considered "something like isometric" (officially, is it a form of dimetric, in which two axes are not foreshortened in the same manner as the third, despite measuring equal distance, becuse the angles are broken.  videogame "isometric" is a similar form of dimetric, only it is more heavily foreshortened rather than elongated like your example).

Isometric refers to equal measure, that is, the equal measure of all axial lines, such that a cube is seen as being 1:1:1.  In addition, in true isometric, 120o is the measure between any two axes
( m<XY = m<XZ = m<YZ = 120o )

The broader term for drawing which is measured by parallel axes is Axonometric.  Within axonometric there are many systems that do not imply any specific angle of view, except in that:
 0o < camera angle measure < 90o.  (the angle is greater than sidescrolling but less than topdown).

as far as these, i'd love to help, but i'm afraid i've got no software for it here.  try looking at my attemps in other threads for some examples of mine.  also, go to pixeljoint.com and search for theblackmarket's work, he's got a great one of a rabbit:

http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/10531.htm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 11:27:37 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:47:53 am
Ah, in my explanation the top X and Y axes (being the topdown point of view), the angle is 90 degrees, resulting in the other angles being 135 degrees. So I guess I misunderstood that. That it ascends from Dimetric, I didn't know, thanks for the info =)