AuthorTopic: Earthbound Zero revamp project  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Earthbound Zero revamp project

on: July 13, 2008, 03:45:22 am
My own revamp project of earthbound Zero. Solink was kind enough to help me by adding the three fly poses, and the snake. Everything else was made by me.

Earthbound project

Ana's hair is a wip, and I cant seem to get it right >>. I could use some help thier. Ninten's design is the commercail version (orange, bleu and white striped shirt, ascot), and Loid, well...is Loid. C+C on these please?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, which starman pallete?

Heres something ive been working ontoday, unrelated to the earthbound revamp project:

Metal sonic pixel art, decided to try out dithering.
I need major c+c on metal sonic, as I have never used dithering before o0

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:09:45 am by Destiny »

Offline SINISTERSOUP

• View Profile
    • peace love explosions masturbation

Re: Earthbound Zero revamp project

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:05:13 am
These are excellent, bro! I especially like the fly and bomber. However I think the starman's should be a bit more distinguishable when it comes to color. Those are the three different starman varieties, right? Or is it an animation where they are flashing colors?
some say he was cursed by chestnut elves

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:02:32 pm
Update. And I really need some crit.

Updated the overworld of ninten, and added some overworld for the rat, lamp, and the doll. Second pose of in battle was added to the rat. Walking sideways was added to Ninten.

And I have a very small udpate for metal sonic.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:11:39 am
I've never actually played earthbound. Not sure what everyone likes about that game, looked too simplistic for my tastes.

If you want someone to critique the sprites you should post them animated. And maybe a screenshot from the original earthbound so we can see what you are trying to reproduce.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 06:54:47 am
Here. Some of the original sprites for comparison purposes. There really wasn't much to the fighting dialogue in the original, so he's taking the Mother 2 approach with the character status boxes.

I can't think of any really good crits right now, although doesn't the lamp have some sort of face in the original? Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong. Either way, I definitely prefer yours to the originals, so good work.

I've never actually played earthbound. Not sure what everyone likes about that game, looked too simplistic for my tastes.
You should really try it. I didn't get too far into the original Mother because I don't understand Japanese and Earthbound Zero doesn't work on my emulator, but from what I've played of the sequel, I actually love everything about the game other than the graphics (which seems to me as valid a reason as any for someone to redo them). Earthbound travels between extremes, starting as one of the lightest, happiest RPGs I've played, and ending on (what is, in my opinion) the creepiest final boss of any game of any genre ever. The series broke the RPG mold, getting rid of the swords and dragons in almost all previous RPGs and replacing them with everyday weapons like frying pans and ridiculous enemies like the "New Age Retro Hippie" and the "Bionic Kraken". It has no random battles, which are easily my least favourite part of RPGs, and is just a really endearing game overall. Also, the plot and some of the characters are pretty great, and the game has some really interesting twists. I highly recommend at least giving it a shot.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:04:59 pm
I know this is kind of off topic,, but it runs fine in nestopia.

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:55:00 pm
Yeah, and there is an English version to play, why are you playing the Japanese one o0.
Thanks for the comments.

Also, update:

Updated on:

Star man Jr-
Over world
Pill it comes out of

Ninten-
Over world

Lamp-
Added the face :D

Extra-
Added retro hippie
Added W.I.P smokey the crow
Added hurt pose for the snake (w.i.p)(line art done by Solink (thanks))

And I have plenty to come :B. I'm probably going to do Ninten's dead poses (where hes an angel), emotions, running, singing, climbing etc

Offline Destiny

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 11:15:05 pm
I hope its ok for me to bump it every few days :/

Update
Lying down/sleeping poses, then waking up. This is for when you revive him in the hospital :X
Also climbing
C+C?

I still need:
Running
Using ATM
Saving
Singing
Emotions

And some other things ill think of making when I finish the game.

Offline SINISTERSOUP

• View Profile
    • peace love explosions masturbation

Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 01:47:22 am
Are you limiting yourself to a palette? I really like how the crow is coming so far. Are you using the clay models as references too? It'd probably be better to have the snake's idle pose closer to the original without his mouth open. That is his idle pose, right? It's kind of odd to not have his face showing.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:50:35 am by SINISTERSOUP »
some say he was cursed by chestnut elves