AuthorTopic: Return of the NINJA!  (Read 29382 times)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: Return of the NINJA!

Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 12:59:12 pm
Okay, I added a crouch in the animation. Check it out!  ;D

Offline ortodoxx

• I Steal Colors
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 04:26:45 pm
Ok, here goes.

remove the sixth frame, yes, it's the crouchframe. It only makes here ass look like it's become like jelly and bounces down to the ground an then fast up again.
On the first frame you should add a 0.1sec delay, the second frame a 0.3sec delay to emphasize the strenght needed for the pull and the fifth frame should be remade to a sort of crouching-state as shes tossed in the air ready to land.

i made an edit but didnt have the time to upload it since i had to catch a bus.

hope this helps somewhat

Offline Merick

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 11:08:11 am
The thing that stands out to me is that her legs are stiff as a board as she pulls herself up. When climbing, wouldn't you normally use your legs to help push up against the wall?

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 11:48:51 am
Really nice work Ryona.
If you want to be sexy, why don't you make a lifting animation similar to the one in th first tomb raider, with lara croft
making the hand-stand and then somersaulting (almost)?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 11:50:46 am
Or you would at least bend your legs and jump up a bit to reach the top of the wall, and remain them lsightly bent as the need to be in that position (or possibly even more bent), at the moment of landing. PS: Using your legs to pull yourself up a wall, makes it only harder, especially if you have the strength to go up anyways. And in addition to that, it's alot slower to do it that way, whjich would ruin the pace of this kinda game.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #35 on: July 25, 2008, 03:36:05 pm
EDIT: I cant possibly count how many times I have re-read one of my post I feel like I sound like a total ass, and failed completely to say what I wanted to say.

Have you read a comic book by Allan Moore called Promethea?

The basic idea of female strength is quite similar, and specially the way he's straight on adressing sex FOR the symbology, that completely changes the whole look on sex and makes it something that couldnt be further removed from plain jerkoff material.
in fact....
SPOILER
she in fact turns out to be the whore of babylonia reincarnated, and that's a good thing.

The whole comic is structured around that idea of feminity and it does it quite ellegantly.So honestly after promethea, I dont think I would be shocked even if you're planning to have the girl save the world by having tentacle sex with Cthulu in the end of the game. I'd  really like to know what it is and let me tell you I think it's great somoene in here is actually trying to convery a positive, strong message with their game and is not afraid to use whatever symbology she sees fit for this. I wish every game was like that.

The breast/vulva symbol is looking pretty good too.

Though, I think you should not put it in the hilt like that. I mean think about it, if there's a blade coming out right from the middle of the vulva what you're really saying is she has penis envy. That she wishes a penis came out of her vulva. if you really want to emphasize female strength then put the symbol in the hilt, and make her use the hilt for...I dont know, sucking out the aggresivity out of enemies or something, otherwise you're just reinforcing the currently widespread model of "executive" women that are simply trying to take over the usual place of men.

You should look out and read Promethea.The comic has a lot of symbology and I think it could give you great ideas for ways to go about this, and it would doubtlessly expand your mind a little about what language you can use to do whatever it is you want.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 06:07:27 pm by Conceit »

Offline ortodoxx

• I Steal Colors
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: July 25, 2008, 07:12:08 pm
Ok im back home again, and i will now show you my edit.

All i did was work with the timing to have the images anticipate whats to come next.
I know she has superhuman strenght and all, but without any anticipation at all the animation will never become credible.
I also kept the 6th frame and slowed down the movement of it to have her take a break from the landing and to let our eyes register what is going on in the animation.
Maybe rework the sixth frame to have her have one knee on the ground as she lands.

Hope im not just talking alot of jibberish :)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 26, 2008, 03:13:05 am

Have you read a comic book by Allan Moore called Promethea?

Good god man you and that comic( and the drugs too! XD) :P
I think the latest animation is a big improvement in all aspects. And in your latest update I like the latest idle stance you made. Other than just good stuff all around, gameboy restrictions are like heaven for me :]

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #38 on: July 26, 2008, 05:14:18 pm
Nice progress Ryona!  I am mainly posting just to assert my total disagreement with Ortodoxx's post and edit, I think your animation is a lot more interesting to watch and is better weighted.  Good work!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #39 on: July 26, 2008, 10:15:08 pm
Basicly where I'm trying to go with this ninja character is that she's intentionally a sex-symbol, but in a non-derogatory way. She's a proud and powerful woman.
It's hard for me to explain where I'm going with all this without people pointing and saying "OMG! You're a pervert!".
If you're open-minded and really think outside the box with what I'm trying to acheive, I think you'll get it. Anyway, the story will make more sense when I reveal it.

For what it's worth since you bring this up I feel compelled to tell you that what you're doing appears to be superficially disingenuous. I don't know how your game will pan out, perhaps you can pull a strong positive message as you say above off, I sincerely wish you will. Judging (and I use the word lightly because nobody asked me to) from what you've got going up to now you're basically emphasizing tits and ass way more than subverting their semiotic value. There's basically *only* tits and ass in your closeup screens for this. You can say that you mean to do that subversively, and you can make an argument that you have, but I just don't see it yet -- who knows, perhaps at the end it would win me over. What I have in mind is that what you're suggesting is a conscious rationalization that excuses your subconscious reasoning for drawing tits and ass. A lot of women artists draw tits and ass like a lot of men artists draw beefcake: the psychological reasoning is deceptively straightforward: narcissistic desire to manifest an ideal body and project their own selves into it. This is why males feel the rush of looking at able-bodied males and why women feel the rush when they look at sexually luscious female forms. There are many many layers of meaning to go from there and I am not a psychoanalyst, but I think it's safe to say that wisdom and inner strength come from the brain and the heart and not from the clitoris and the breast. If there ever were a symbol of female empowerment in that sense it would be the same symbol of male empowerment.

I do not know to what degree you've given enough thought to these things and you don't really have to because someone on the internet is calling you on it. Perhaps however it will be of use to you to know that so far, your art is transparent and through it not all see an attempt at  positive female self-image, but rather... baser calls. However it could go either way, I hope you prove me wrong.