AuthorTopic: What's a good start to drawing when you can't?  (Read 2664 times)

Offline lampshade

• View Profile

What's a good start to drawing when you can't?

on: July 19, 2008, 12:54:35 am
I'm interested in pixel art and I need to start developing drawing skills as the foundation. However, I'm not very good at drawing and even making the most basic shapes can be difficult for me.

Offline kitty

• LAUGH! :]
    • View Profile

Re: What's a good start to drawing when you can't?

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:17:22 am
Draw a lampshade! Seriously. I think drawing from real life is the best way to study.
never pretend to be drunker than you really are

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Re: What's a good start to drawing when you can't?

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:07:07 am
A good way to start is by finding some simple things that you like. A pretty flower, a leaf, a lampshade, etc.. And try to draw them as detailed as you can, and with respect to light and shadows. Asking someone else to step in and tell you where you might make changes is also very important for your learning progress. As it is about teaching your brain to notice new aspects of your surroundings. You might not understand yourself how you can change the picture for the better.

Start with things, and not with people or animals is my suggestion. When you can draw those simple things to your own satisfaction, move up a notch. Add things with more details, that are harder to draw. And as kitty said; drawing from real life is the best way to study.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 11:10:57 am by Mirre »