AuthorTopic: Mythical Figurines  (Read 7839 times)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Re: Mythical Figurines

Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 01:08:10 pm
Just stepping in to say i get a feeling the fishtail isn't large enough. It seems small and flimsy in conjuction with her body. I'd suggest making it longer to such an amount that the tail goes around the whole base and back to the left, although i guess it wouldn't really need to go that far. This problem for me is made worse by how little the tail contrasts with the statue-base, making it seem like a torso stuck on the top.

Tbh it's all very subtle though, so i shouldn't worry too much.

I'm really looking forward to these pieces!

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:54:36 pm
I would suggest looking at the silhouette of your mer-figure. Without the color differences, the shape of the tail blends with that of the rock. It would be more visually interesting if you made the end wings of the tail break the border of the rock. It might also be nice if the hair were a little shorter in back so it doesn't disguise the shape of the hip. Don't be afraid to play with the contrasting forms, organic flowing curves of the tail against the angular lines of the rock. I think you're too anxious to move onto the detailing stage (and I will admit that the fish skeleton comb is a cool idea).

Let me know if you need more explanation -- I could probably sketch something out better than I can describe it here.

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:41:13 pm
I was thinking more like this for her hips...

I really tried to comically thrust her hips out a bit and make her lower body curve with her upper body.  I also made her lower body a bit longer since the tail replaces the legs... I felt that, visually, the tail should probably be as long as a pair of legs... probably a bit longer.
Glub Glub!