AuthorTopic: Mythical Figurines  (Read 7778 times)

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Mythical Figurines

on: July 13, 2008, 04:23:35 pm
New private pixel project, just for fun! I am going to pixel several creatures from Nordic Mythology (and Swedish in particular) as figurines. Might do some other cultures' creatures too if I still feel like it. I am also trying out a new pixel technique here: drawing a sketch on paper, scanning, and pixelling ontop of it. So here goes the first figurine in project, and the sketches to the other ones that are planned so far.

First up: Sjöjungfru (a.k.a. Mermaid, yes, I like mermaids...)
>> >>
The hand holding the comb is completely wonky. Help? Not entirely sure about the colour of the tail either. Look ok?

Skogsrå:
Forest sprite and guardian in the shape of a beautiful woman with long hair. Her back is hollow like an old tree trunk, and she has a tail. If treated kindly, and if no mentions of her inhuman features are made, she might help the people she meets in the forest. By blowing into the pipe of their rifles to grant them luck with hunting, or by telling them where good spots for fishing might be found. She might also help colliers by waking them should anything happen.

Näcken:
A tragic, but beautiful young male creature (emo?) who sits in the strean playing on his violin. Eternally damned to be without love. He lures people into the stream to drown them. He might teach people to play the violin as amazing as himself in exchange for a sacrifice or their soul. But if they play one of his special polska (dance) too long, they can no longer stop and everyone present will dance themselves into the water and to death, unless someone manages to cut the strings of the violin.

Älvor:
Might be referred to as elves, but are not quite the same thing. These sprites live in the forest and can be seen dancing etherally in big circles. Barely touching the ground. They are very pale, and sometimes they just appear as mist. A human who comes upon them can be lured to join them, or given diseases as punishment. The day after their dances one can find a circle of unnaturally green grass, no grass, or mushrooms where it took place. This is called an elf circle (in Swedish: älvring).

Tomte:
A small sprite that lives together with humans (on farms). They help take care of animals and get along with us as long as we respect them and take well care of the farm.

Vätte:
A sort of sprite that also lives together with humans, although they don't interfer with us unless we do them harm, or a favor. If we harm them (wittingly or not) they can punish us by burning down our dwellings, causing sickness, etc. If we help them when in need they can reward us with amazing gifts.

Troll:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:09:50 pm by Mirre »

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Re: Mythical Figurines

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:38:14 pm
Mirre... if I'm not mistaken... didn't you once put together another mermaid image which was critiqued on the board, and even made a feature?

From just a cursory glance, what catches my eye is the tail segment... it doesn't feel like it follows the same flow from the upper body.  It feels like there is this feminine figure, arching her back and thrusting her chest forward.. and then a tail half that just sticks out from that... it doesn't seem to flow in the same way as the upper body.  Maybe the hips could just out a little more and there could be a crease where the body tucks into the top of the tail?

I like the colours, the technical aspects seem fine so far... I think you could also, if it was you who posted that previous picture, take a few glances at some of the old critiques because they might still apply (hair, hips).  This is turning out nicely; If you are indeed the same person... I'm sure this will turn out great since the last one I remembered came out great after the critiques.
Glub Glub!

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 04:44:45 pm
Yes, that was me. I have used the old one a bit for reference when making this new one too, although I'm going for a slightly different aproach here (different type of tail with no knee joint, slightly less curvy figure). But I guess I should read through the critique again of course. Good tip!

I will do something about the tail from your crit too.

EDIT: Also noticed a problem with the angle of the other arm so fixing that too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:54:01 pm by Mirre »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:09:40 am
not too fond of the mermaid's hair. Looks too much like tentacles, I think.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:17:00 am
I agree with Scuba Steve.. larger hips would improve the anatomy. The pose needs to be steadier as she seems to be sitting slightly uncomfortably, as if almost about to slide down from the rock. I like the hair and the rest of it. Nice project..  these same creatures appear in Finnish fables as well. I think here Näcken is a creature living at the bottom of a well.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:31:56 am
Looking good, but I think there should be a bäckahäst (river horse, näcken in horse shape), a sjörå (pretty much a female version of näcken) and a vittra (invisible forest people from another dimension). Maybe a brunnsgubbe (a troll who lives on the bottom of a well) too.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 12:37:23 pm
Here's a pixelled vittra for you Emtch. I was to lazy to add a background though.

Now on a more serious note, I think the drafted shading on the tail is a bit off near the edge : the lightsource appears to be the viewer whereas it's top left.
I also agree with the tentacle comment.

On the other hand, I love the fishy accessory (-lack of english vocabulary-) and the drawings for future pieces. They all remind me of Lumsk songs ^^

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 12:47:53 pm
Interesting theme you've chosen. ;D

A small mirror to keep by your desk is all sorts of useful for getting hands and arm poses right. This was what I found was most natural.

The crossed legs of the Skogsrå also bothered me a bit. Not sure if this is right, but I think it's closer.

I'm really looking forward to seeing you finish these. :)

Although you're probably not going for something this eerie, I've always been a fan of Theodor Kittelsen's work, especially his interpretation of Nøkken. He's drawn a few drawings of Nøkken in horse form too, and I think a misty forest lake like that would be a nice background for your Skogsrå or Näcken.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 05:27:53 pm
Xion: Sorry, but the hair stays. I was kinda going for a "seaweed"-look so I take tentacles as a compliment ;)

JJ Naas: I hope the pose looks better now. Tried to enhance hips a little, changed the angle of her butt, and let her come higher up at the rock. I have heard that in Finland, Näcken/Näkki(?) lives in a castle under the sea, and travels through the land by the many lakes of Finland.

Emtch: Other creatures planned but not yet sketched are: Bäckahäst (similar to Kelpie), Lindorm (like a dragon without wings), Enhörning (Unicorn). Vittra might be kinda hard to pixel, as fil_razorback pointed out...

fil_razorback: Shine on tail starting to look better? I haven't quite gotten started on it too much yet.

Arachne: Thank you so much for the wonderful help with the arm and hand holding the comb! A mirror by the desk would indeed be useful. I might have to invest in one. Saved the Skogsrå edit for when I get to that figure.
Theodor Kittelsen's work is very nice and inspiring, but not quite fitting these figurines. They will also have transparent backgrounds, but I will keep his art in mind when pixelling Näcken.

And latest edit!

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 11:27:22 am
Love the sketches, Mirre. And Great progress with the mermaid. Love the fish/comb idea. It's a nice cute touch. Also, I love the pearls in her hair. Really adds to her overall beauty.  :)

My only suggestion so far is to add some bottom lip for her mouth.

Any plans for these figurines?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:29:37 am by Ryona »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 01:08:10 pm
Just stepping in to say i get a feeling the fishtail isn't large enough. It seems small and flimsy in conjuction with her body. I'd suggest making it longer to such an amount that the tail goes around the whole base and back to the left, although i guess it wouldn't really need to go that far. This problem for me is made worse by how little the tail contrasts with the statue-base, making it seem like a torso stuck on the top.

Tbh it's all very subtle though, so i shouldn't worry too much.

I'm really looking forward to these pieces!

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:54:36 pm
I would suggest looking at the silhouette of your mer-figure. Without the color differences, the shape of the tail blends with that of the rock. It would be more visually interesting if you made the end wings of the tail break the border of the rock. It might also be nice if the hair were a little shorter in back so it doesn't disguise the shape of the hip. Don't be afraid to play with the contrasting forms, organic flowing curves of the tail against the angular lines of the rock. I think you're too anxious to move onto the detailing stage (and I will admit that the fish skeleton comb is a cool idea).

Let me know if you need more explanation -- I could probably sketch something out better than I can describe it here.

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:41:13 pm
I was thinking more like this for her hips...

I really tried to comically thrust her hips out a bit and make her lower body curve with her upper body.  I also made her lower body a bit longer since the tail replaces the legs... I felt that, visually, the tail should probably be as long as a pair of legs... probably a bit longer.
Glub Glub!