AuthorTopic: Portrait for game  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Portrait

• View Profile

Portrait for game

on: July 12, 2008, 11:44:26 pm
Made a portrait of one of the character ill be making for my game.  ;D

> Update
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:36:39 pm by Portrait »

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Re: Portrait for game

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 02:04:32 am
this might be a bit harsh but your character is boring.
if you're serious about this game you might want to write up a character description before you draw anything. Firstly define function. You should already have some idea about what your character is going to do. Think about how he will move, how he will attack. Let these functions define his form. If he is hiding his face and wearing dark clothing for stealth, why does he wear a bright shirt over the top? Having a clear idea of how this character will function within the game world will give you clear guidelines for making design decisions.
Maybe this is a bit over the top, but when i started i always had trouble with character design. I was caught up with what looks cool and all my characters would end up a mesh of ideas. After i started to think properly about each character, designing them was much easier and they had a lot more cohesion.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Shexoda

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:25 am
i agree with akira let ur character have a pose like(hes slashing with a dagger or something)

for the rest i have respect for u i coulndt make that;)

Offline Portrait

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 09:56:26 pm
Well, its just a portrait of the Character in street clothes wearing a undershirt with a mask attached... Hes not supposed to be hiding i just liked the way it looked. And update the main character for the game has been added still making portrait for him. Will post as soon as im done.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:51:59 am
A few crits:

1. I know the eye is supposed to be sort of hidden behind the hair, but right now it's too messy, I can't really tell where the eye ends and hair begins or whether the eye is behind a lock of a hair at all.

2. The pose is awkward and inconstistent, in terms of anatomy (protruding shoulders, narrow chest) and posture. Why is he holding his right hand like that? Is he walking forwards? Does he hold something in his hand? If yes, the show. Either make a straightforward frontal pose, with both arms at rest, or a very defined pose that's identifiable for what it is.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 02:46:44 pm
The character looks a bit boring and unoriginal. Maybe try another hairstyle that would show some face (and save a lot of money for the character, since he won't need 5 gallons of hair gel a day :P).
The thing that needs work is the chest/arms. Once they are fixed, you are a big bit on the way.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 04:24:27 pm
>

He looked like he was in pain in yours. I lowered the nose and made the spandex indicate the depth of his face a tad. He needed an eye, too.

Get?

Offline Portrait

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 04:36:24 pm
I was actually planning to add his eye into open view. And i like the pose you gave Atnas. Might try to change it up a bit. And JJ The little character isnt holding anything the thing sticking out from behind him is his hand but i forgot to add the shoulder i did and update and added a sword also.

Offline michael

• ))<>((
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:47:12 pm
does the sprite have any relation to the portrait? i like ninjas and i like yellow, but i would definitely do some soul searching to see if you really want your ninja to be wearing yellow...or if you want your yellow to be worn by ninja. i dont think he necessarily that he needs a more dynamic pose. his portrait should express his character, and if hes a somber yellow ninja then a wallflower portrait is fine. i also think that his shoulders need to not boob out and that he could do with some refinement of elements, theres too much contrast and not enough harmony. best of luck harmonizing your somber yellow ninja