AuthorTopic: Gameboy color-style mockup  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Gameboy color-style mockup

on: July 11, 2008, 01:09:42 am
I don't know how closely I'm following gameboy color restrictions, but I stole colors (and the stacked house) from the Oracle Zelda games and made 8x8 tiles (which have mostly been grouped into 16x16 patterns). Also, I got lazy with the trees and rocks and threw in transparency. As long as it has the mood of a gameboy color game I'm happy. :) It was originally a four-shades-of-gray gameboy game until I decided that it looked, on the whole, a bit boring.

C+C away.
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Gameboy color-style mockup

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:21:49 am
i'd suggest that the second level of your house come one tiles closer (e.g. downwards) than it actually is, and that it has a narrower roof. the current way really gives the feeling that we see two houses stacked onto each other rather than a two-level house :P

Seconding Xelados on character's colours. I barely noticed there was a character at first glance, and i certainly wouldn't have bet it was the playing character...

Otherwise, nice atmosphere. Make me wish i could walk that land cutting bushes for ruppees ;) Nice trees too ^_^

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:24:59 pm
Thanks for the long replies, guys. I want to note a couple things though:

The house is directly ripped from Zelda, until I get a replacement graphic. I wasn't happy with any of my attempts at a proper tower.

The rocks...well. The rocks have been changed so many times now, and I absolutely loathe trying to draw edge tiles (they're something of a weakness of mine). They looked like this before - much too warm, but a little more interesting. Should I try something like this for the edges?

As for the character, yeah, he's pretty unnoticeable down there. It might be a size issue, but I'm reluctant to depart from that comical 16x16 squashed look.

I'm gonna be doing a beach scene and a bong tower (you'll see) next, so keep your eyes peeled. ;)
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:39:25 pm
Looks good, though I hope the Zelda houses are temporary :mean:

One thing I'm not diggin' is the path. I don't like the zig-zaggy edges and the right-angles... I guess it's a stylistic choice but that seems to be the only place in the scene that you're using this aesthetic. Also I don't think the material of the path is being communicated very well, you have a grass texture but it's the color of sand.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:59:54 pm
I really like the cherful colors here. Donīt checked it but looks valid to the gbc restrictions.
Basically 8 palettes @ 4 colors each for the background, the the same for all the sprites.

What I dont like is the very rectangular look of the tiles,
I know the insperation comes from the zelda games wich have this look, but its still bothers me a little.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 03:08:46 pm
vierbit is right. 8 palettes, 4 colours each for tiles. 8 palettes, 4 colours each for sprites, but here 1 colour of each palette is transparency, so you only get 8 3-colour palettes for sprites.

Also keep in mind that there are no layers on the GBC, a tile is either in front of the a specific sprite or behind it. (I think one colour of a tile can be set as transparency as well so that you could have 3 or so pixels high grass in a platformer which goes infront of the sprite.)

Also ALL Nintendo handhelds with colour from the GBC up to the DS have 15 bit colour, 5 bit per channel. In Cosmigo Promotion you can set the colourdepth per channel. In effect here it means you can only have hex values of
00, 08, 10, 18, 20, 29, 31, 39, 41, 4A, 52, 5A, 62, 6A, 73, 7B, 83, 8B, 94, 9C, A4, AC, B4, BD, C5, CD, D5, DE, E6, EE, F6, FF
for each channel.

The mockup you have is quite nice, vivid style, I agree with the crits you got on the top bit of the house and the player colours as well.
Also you have quite a lot of errors, in terms of colours per tile and total amount of palettes. Good work so far tho, just needs more polish if you want it to be true to the GBC standards.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:33:13 pm
not sure why, but ive edited your piece so it looks like a real gb game :)