AuthorTopic: ChestPlate[WIP]  (Read 4598 times)

Offline tomblifter

• View Profile

ChestPlate[WIP]

on: July 08, 2008, 08:16:32 pm
Just a doodle in paint that I made when I finally decided to give another try to pixel art.

I'm an amateur, and I'd like some tips on how to improve the lineart and how to color it (I suck at coloring).
Fire away.

Offline kitty

• LAUGH! :]
    • View Profile

Re: ChestPlate[WIP]

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:26:38 pm
Coloring is the funnest part! You just have to get down and dirty. Pick a base color then add your highlights and shadows from there. And keep the material in mind!

Smooth the lines when they are crumpled and it should tidy right up! :]
never pretend to be drunker than you really are

Offline tomblifter

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:56:49 pm
Thank you for the tips. I started coloring it now, but I think I should post it first while it has relatively few mistakes :X

Also, a drawing of my cellphone, just for fun and practise.

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:42:43 am
As this is the exact same phone as I've got I had to edit it  :D
you had a few unnessecary colors, and it was all pretty flat. made some reflections in the screen, and shaded the thing. removed the all black outlines. but please remember this was just a two minutes edit, and pretty scrappy, so you should try and make your own attempt, as my one is pretty rough  ;D
When there is no more of art to discover, you know you're dead. And if you aren't, what the hell do you live for?

Offline tomblifter

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 01:33:50 pm
Thanks for the tips. I added some reflection onto the screen, but I think it looks better without the shading, since the cellphone is mostly flat. Plus, its a top down view.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 01:51:57 pm
This is more general drawing advice than pixelart advice, but it still applies: Think of objects as being made of shapes, not lines. Artists can use outlines to help suggest shapes, but outlines do not exist in the real world. Right now lighting and perspective don't seem to really exist, because you're treating these objects as being flat drawings.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 10:08:06 am
I made some changes to your armor (i changed the lines a little and some other little things i hope it helps you  ;D).
I think that you should change shoulders shading and add some scratches to armor.

Offline Portrait

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 12:22:03 am
This is more general drawing advice than pixelart advice, but it still applies: Think of objects as being made of shapes, not lines. Artists can use outlines to help suggest shapes, but outlines do not exist in the real world. Right now lighting and perspective don't seem to really exist, because you're treating these objects as being flat drawings.

I agree. And to add it looks like you've looked at several different angles of the chest and put them into one. Which just turns the chest plate into a Iso/2D doodle. Try focusing on how it would look if it was right in front of you on a mount. Use that image as a reference to shades and objects.