AuthorTopic: [WIP] Tiny work.  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

[WIP] Tiny work.

on: July 10, 2008, 12:12:10 am
Hey again, after all this time, I guess.. Sorry for disappearing. But I return and am still seeking for guidance.
Tiny note, is that I don't want this pose to exactly be any more dynamic. If you honestly wish to give me an example, I'll be happy, since I know about dynamic poses livening up the piece more, as was with the case of my work on Jalie.
I'm having a tiny bit of trouble here on how to tweak the legs and how else I could make this look better. I could go on further, but I wanna get the pose down right before I start filling in any details. Any ideas? (The avatar is outdated by a long shot. I just keep it there as-is.)
I know there is something wrong with his legs, but I want to explain. The character is to have about really defined legs since he's a long time runner, but otherwise he isn't built much in the upper regions. The feet also are a bit troublesome to me, but even after the good ol' mirror trick, I still couldn't find the way to tweak the legs to look better.

Offline missingno

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Tiny work.

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:45:15 am
Tiny note, is that I don't want this pose to exactly be any more dynamic.

I guess that makes sense if the purpose of the piece is for character design or something.

Personally I don't think there's enough to go on yet. It seems good enough of a starting point to me. I'm not an expert with anatomy but I don't see any glaring issues with this as a rough base. The only thing that might be bugging me is in the neck/shoulders, but not the legs. I think it will be easier to give some more solid criticism once you have some more definition in the forms.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:42:41 am
Human body is typically 7.5 to 8 heads tall, not 6.

try doing a few pencil sketches to help you with this.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:45:17 am
It's not like I'm aiming for a very large sprite, honestly. Moving on... (And dear god, I don't really wanna sketch. I'm way worse at that than at pixel art. x.x)

Fixed up some tiny issues with the legs and torso, but now the head bothers me most. Yes.. He's an anthropomorph, yes, it's kinda built-in that he has to look somewhat gender confused.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:12:15 am
(And dear god, I don't really wanna sketch. I'm way worse at that than at pixel art. x.x)
then i fear you're going to end with a character that has surprisingly long arms and short legs. I'd suggest you move up the belt by 1/2 "head" and adjust legs and arms accordingly...

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 01:27:59 pm
(And dear god, I don't really wanna sketch. I'm way worse at that than at pixel art. x.x)

Which is exactly why you must do it! Now! :yell:
Seriously though, good drawing skills are the foundation of your house, and you only get better by doing it. Pixel art is exactly the same thing as drawing or painting, you're just confined to a grid. An athlete must exercise, a musician must practice, and an artist must sketch.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 03:28:41 pm
The piece is turning out quite a bit better thanks to you guys. I'll consider the much more often sketching practice (Considering I do it a bit rarely. I quickly lose will if I see my art is bad from the get-go.), but here's how it turned out so bad. Also, Feron, sorry for seeming to reject your help at first. But it ended up looking better now. I'll try as much as I can, but I'm seemingly stubborn about these tiny things, and I fear psychological things won't really fit into this thread. =P